Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

System help

Rakesh

Hi every body

I know similar type of topic is discussed many time but I still need some advice from you guys.

I just got a quote for new computer and I could not decide whether I should stay with 32 bit system or I should go for 64 bit system.

2. Is 4 gig ram gonna enough for 2d and 3d work.(3d handling tellecommunication filter hsg programs)

3. I ask for quadro FX 1500 pro card due to limited budget. Is any other quardo card for same bubget available.

Any input will be helpful.

thanks

1. IMO, stay with a 32bit system for now at least..

MCAM will run on it but does not take full advantage of it. If you run Solidworks 2008 will not like it.

2. With the 32 bit system, 3 gigs is all WIN XP Pro will use for applications, it sees the 4th gig but only allocates for system use under certain conditions.

3. A Quadro FX1500 is a pretty good card for the buck, I don't "think" there is another card as powerful in the same range, I think you would end up spending a good deal more for a more powerful card.

hth

Rakesh,

I would beg for some more money and upgrade that Quadro FX card to the next level. Print some of the posts on this forum about computer hardware and show it to your supervisor. You will get by with the FX1500, but it will always be the bottleneck in your system. I just hate it when management skimps on our computers, but will think nothing of adding leather and a 6-CD Changer to that new company car.

quote:

Is this from personal experience John?

No, gcode has been a beta on 2008, I was but not since leaving Kevlin. He has had problems.

As I recall there is a thread around here where he said he dropped the 64 version of the OS and went back to the 32 bit because of the issues

quote:

I'm trying XP Pro x64 right now. It's more trouble than its worth so far. It is faster, X2 seems to like it OK and SolidWorks screams, but half my apps won't run on an x64 OS.

I did a search and this is what I found, written by GCode. He may have since changed his mind?

quote:

He may have since changed his mind?

I'm still running x64, but I wouldn't do it again.

Any perfomance increase is overshadowed, by the

hassles of incomatible software and drivers.

X2-MR1 and the MR2-betas have been rock solid.

Solidworks 2007x64 locks up the first time I start it, then settles down and runs fine.

I think this may be a SpacePilot driver issue

but I have failed to solve it.

SW2008 beta is in PC2, but I've been too busy to play with it.

In summation I have not replaced my x64, but I won't buy anothe x64 system.

I you want an x64 system I'd wait till Vista x64

gets ironned out ( 2 or 3 years?)

Win XPx64 is Bill Gates forgotten step child..

abandonded, barley supportted and way more trouble than its worth.

I have a Quadro Fx 1500 on my computer and I have been happy with it so far. My boss is using a Quadro FX 4600 and there is a noticable difference in performance between his computer and mine. From what I've learned by doing some research and listening to Mastercam users on this forum I would push for a Quadro FX 3400 or higher.

Justin

Finnaly I able to change video card from Fx1500 to FX 3500 and I am getting my computer tomorrow.

Thanks everybody for their help.

Now my question is regarding Net 2.0 Frame work. Do I have to download from the internet or

Will it come with window xp or will it be in the X2 MR1 cd?

My new system is:

cpu: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 (2.4 Ghz)

Mother board: Intel DG965WHMKR VDO/Aud/Lan/SATA

Video: NIvdia PCI EXpress FX 3500

Hard drive: 500 gb SEAGATE 7200 rpm (2)

Monitor: 22" View sonic

Case: ANTEC 900 WITH 500 W P/S

oprating system window xp pro with manual

Plus few more accessories

$3275 plus taxes