Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Learning Programming Language

Wise-ACR

Jerry,

At this moment, you can contact your reseller and try to get a copy of the V9 Post Parameter Reference guide. Couple that with the Post Parameter reference .pdf included in your X/x2 install in the documentation folder and that's what you have now for documentation.

A basic understanding of computer programming language if only for understand how logic chains work and variables are used is a good thing.

CNC offers a Post class, your reseller might as well.

As far as I know there are no actual language classes you could take. There will be ALOT of trial and error involved as well.

Columbrew, we put people on a list too. We do maybe one-two posts class a year, none this year so far. The problem is once you have enough people for a class, you have to get everyone's schedule to jive. rolleyes.gif

Instead customers wanting a post class usually come by the office for a techday and we work with them on their post app.

The forum has also turned out to be a nifty post training tool. If you know specifically what your wanting to do, you can find out how here.

I agree with JParis's comment. I have been working on a post processor for a G&L VTL we have that was retrofitted with an Heidenhain Mill control. The machine has live tooling, a C-axis as well as lathe tooling.

My post is now into it's "ready to try on real parts" stage. I have found the V9 post processor reference priceless. The only thing you have to remember when referencing it is that Ver. X posts need the $ after the system variables. (Not sure if that's the correct term or not)

I converted the MPLFAN post supplied with Mastercam to output Heidenhain code to perform lathe turning functions, as well as C-axis milling functions. Drill, Peck, Tap cycles work in C-axis and Drill & Peck in Lathe.

It has taken be about a month to get the post from the Generic Fanuc G-Code output to a Heidenhain conversational output.

Having a good understanding of program flow, understanding variables and their manipulation, reading A LOT, consulting the forum, and using the V9 reference with the VX/X2 additions, would probably be my list of things helpful if not necessary to edit posts.

Also understanding machine and control definitions in mastercam help as well.

Trust me, there will be days you will be banging your head banghead.gif trying to get something working only to come in the next day and the solution comes right away. idea.gif

Good luck,

Rick