Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Ultimate System

machtek

Hi all,

I am looking for the ultimate PC to run X2 mill level 3 w solids. In the past (and currently) I have had a problem processing complex surface patterns and verifying them with anything but turbo mode is some less exciting than watching paint dry or grass grow, you get the picture.

I have been given a chance to spec an ultimate pc (money no object) and want to get it right the first time. Any help will be appreciated.

I'm thinking dual Zeon 8gig ram video? etc...

Thanks

Dennis

quote:

I have had a problem processing complex surface patterns and verifying them with anything but turbo mode is some less exciting than watching paint dry or grass grow, you get the picture.

I don't care what you are running for a system.

Surface paths with small step overs and a lot of radii are going to take a long time to verify.

This have been a complaint of mine for some time.

Verify is NOT a CNC product it is a leased add in and IMO has major issues.

[ 08-24-2007, 08:58 AM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutions® ]

Yes.

This was a big problem for me in the not too distant past.

I had to ask one of the resellers to set me up with a temporary seat of Predator so I could verify my program. Fairly big part lots of fine surfaces and finishes and it simply would NOT do it. A 50k one off part and I could not use verify. I was just a "bit" upset.

CNC you got anything to add here?

Just purchased a brand new mastercam version X2 and the system is choking and the boss is pissed?

I told him it was the PC and he said get the right one.

Please don't set me up for a termination here, it's a new job and I'm counting on you!

Dennis

So you know Vericut does not lease to anyone any more.

Machtek did you look thru the link of bench marks.

I to, do ALLOT of scallope toolpaths and needed more speed and had a good box but after testing I was able to cut 65% of my time.

I know Predator would work with them as the owner of predator has asked me about this a few times.

Thanks Cadcam for the pointer, It looks like the systems that were tested were custom built systems. I would prefer to buy an off the shelf like a dell. If I was building one for home I would build a custom like I have two of already although they are not built for Mcam.

I had hoped to have CNC weigh in on this, I wonder what happened today. Must all be on vacation.

"crickets"

I looked on their website and was unable to locate a recommended HCL.

Dennis

Thanks Gcode, have you used one of these? These are the ones I was looking at. I don't know if the Zeon dual core or quad core would be best, do you have any experience. Also 32bit or 64 bit.

What is the fastest HD I can get without going flash media?

Thanks

I bought a Dell stratch and dent from the outlet

store a couple of months ago

2 dual core 2.6 Xeon's

4 gig ram

2 74gig 10K hard drives

Quadro FX-3450 video card

and WinXP x64

I think someone screwed up pricing it.

Its a $6500 machine new and all that's wrong with it is a small dent in one corner of the case.

I paid $2100 plus $150 for 3 years of Gold Warranty.

The machine screams...

my only complaint is the x64 bit OS.

Mastercam X2 is rock solid, but

SolidWorks 2007 x64 locks up alot

and many softwares I use are won't run on it at all or are unsupported.

If I had it to do over, I'd have wiped it clean and started over with x32.

I may do that anyway before its over.

... get 10k rpm hard drives.. they are noisy

but you will notice the improved performance

15K SCSI's are even better, but they get very pricy.. the 10k's are a good compromise bewteen

price and performance.

Have you tried bumping up the

"Moves/step" and "Moves/refresh"??

Changing those fields from 1 to 10 or 20

will make Verify run much quicker and still

give acceptable visualization in large

point to point toolpaths

quote:

Shame CNC is hiding today or is it from this issue

I doubt they are hiding.. they are all working on X2_MR2 upcoming release

Verify is a 3rd party addon and its performance has always been too slow. If there were something better available, I'm sure CNC would be using it.

oops, double post. anyway either learn the vericut (Bob will teach you if you ask) or get them to buy the cimco editor v.5

I'm trying to talk my boss in to the cimco v.5 right now for the same reason. it's 10 times as fast and easier to use than the vericut.

/edit/ no more vericut?? get that guy across the hall to reload. (elvis hair) or get the cimco.

[ 08-25-2007, 01:00 AM: Message edited by: kinglouieXII ]

machtek

We just purchased this system for my boss:

Dell Precision 690

XP Pro 32-bit

Quadcore processor (Can't remember the GHZ)

4GIGS of Ram

Quadro FX 4600

22 Inch monitor

total cost about $5000

I haven't been able to benchmark it because my boss isn't a member of the forum. However we do similar work to what you described and this system made verify and toolpath generation much faster. Also as gcode said by changing moves/step and moves/refresh you can increase the speed when verifying, and by filtering your toolpaths you can increase the speed of verify.

Justin

I have the second fastest (behind by 2 seconds I think) homebuilt PC in the benchmark thread so I'm somewhat experianced in building the machine. If money is no object I'd build either a quad Xenon CPU on an overclocker board like Asus P5K3 or a 2 quad Xenon CPU board. 4GB of DDR3 1800FSB RAM. Two CPU MB won't overclock much but 8 CPU cores is hard to use up.

I know a 8800GTS video card will do but you'll want a Quadro FX 5500. Forget SLI setups, won't help. An 850W power supply should be more than enough. Four 10K RPM raptors in 2 RAID 0 arrays. one for your 32 bit WinXP install and one array for your 64 bita WinXP or 64 bit Vista install, why limit yourself to one OS? And a 1Ter. HD for storage and backup, pagefiles and temp folder.

You could try a solidstate HD, a RAM drive for 2GB of your 32 bit apps to work with. If your really serious don't network it or put it online so you don't need AV. Big aluminum case and top notch air or high end water cooling set up.

If you buy a factory box I agree a Dell 690 is good but you MUST reload the OS. There's also Alienware or Falcon Northwest.

bogusmill,

Why do you suggest reloading the operating system with Dell 690? The one we have came with XP pro 32 bit. Also what do you think of the Quad-core processors. Has anyone benchmarked a system with a quad-core yet. Last time I checked I didn't see a benchmark for a system with a quad-core processor.

Justin

quote:

Cadcam

I to, do ALLOT of scallope toolpaths and needed more speed and had a good box but after testing I was able to cut 65% of my time.

What do you mean by after testing you was able to cut 65%, after testing different hardware or setting up the system?

I started this topic: the other day, Running mastercam X2 on a core 2 duo processor do you think that there would be any adavntage by using a quad core processor?