Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A mill to install screws?

Eric S.

I have a dream.

I was wondering if anybody ever used the CNC mill to install screws. What I am doing is clamping multiple parts, drilling, then the machine stops and waits for me to install some 1/4-20 screws.

I may just be lazy rolleyes.gif but I thought the machine could do this much faster!

I thought a tool like a tapping head that has a floating head and an adjustable torque setting might work? Also some kind of retaining device for the screws like a magnet would also be important.

I have a HAAS VF3 with rigid tapping.

smile.gif Any ideas? smile.gif

[ 04-10-2002, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: Eric Sman ]

Hello Eric. If you used a tapping head or used a rigid tap cycle you would need a holder that releases the screw after it is assembled into your part. I have seen tool holders that have air chucks on them but I don't know how you would supply air to the holder unless you have through spindle coolant. Then you might get somewhere. confused.gif Rick

I am using socket head cap screws. I thought if the actual driver had a strong magnet in the end of it, or some sort of retaining device that allowed it to just be pulled out once the screw was installed. I also thought that the screws could be placed into a tapped block where the machine would know where to find them.

[ 04-10-2002, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: Eric Sman ]

what if you set the screws in by hand,make a tool for the screw head to fit into a compression tap holder like an allen wrench cut off with a chamfer (so it can hit the screw head and have enough play to catch)and use a bore in rapid ou cyclet???Could work with a little inovation.just an opinion.

Hi Eric. I was involved about 20 years ago with a similar idea to this. the company (McDonnel Douglas Aircraft) wanted to do "lights out machining" running multiple parts. the program actually loaded/unloaded the parts and fastened them down with s.h cap screws. However, after 6 months and about $60,000 the idea was scrapped. the biggest problem was chips. the tapped block for storing the screws, and the threaded holes in the work fixture always had some chips left in them. we even had high pressure air programmed to blow out the holes. but all it took was 1 hole to have a chip stuck in it. sometimes the holes would get cross threaded. Anyway, the fastest way of taking screws in and out would be to use an electric screwdriver or an impact gun. with the torque set correctly, it's fast and safe. btw, i can install 4 or 5 screws this way before the machine can do one. just my .02

Steve.

Thanks for the input guys.

I think I'll trust you on this one steve. Ya sound like you know what you are talking about. biggrin.gif I was worried about the chips but I thought I could work around it.

Oh well. I'm just a rookie thinking of new ways of doing things around here.

"Why walk when you can drive!" wink.gif

Thanks for all your info

I saw a co. that set up a can of tapping fluid, and had the tool go over and dip the tap in the can before tapping. Really smart... Use the mill like a robot.

Why not have an array of bolts setup (5 x 5) and have the tool pick them out in order using the strong magnet idea. That way you'd only have to reload the array every 25 bolts (for example).