Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Setup Sheet - What should be the contents?

Hello

We are currently in the process of finishing the specification on a new Mastercam Setup sheet. The new one will give you a HTML report that is far more detailed than what the graphical Setup Sheet of Mastercam currently does.

It will be an improvement/add-on to the graphical setup sheet that is the currently available in Mastercam.

We already have input from a few people and developers. We realize that the In-House HTML Setup sheet is a good solution at this point.

However, we need to provide you, the end-users complete flexiblity on what you need output and how. Since we developed the HTML Report for Moldplus, several customers and resellers have requested us to develop the same for Mastercam.

Therefore we are developing the new HTML Setup sheet generator for Mastercam.

I would like feedback from you as to what you feel is important as output for

1. Tool information

2. Operation information.

3. Images, etc - of what

You can post on this forum or email to [email protected]

Regards.

One word CONDENSED. I like a lot of info on my set-up sheet, not a lot of pretty garbage that wastes paper. When I have to run 20 tools, I don't like to flip through 10 pages to find the info I need. Several outputs on the same line with maybe a tripple space seperating them, or columns and rows with the same info in the same place on the page for every tool. Just my 2 cents but I hope this helps.

You will have the choice to output what you want in the Setup Sheet. Therefore, the level of information that is output will be upto you.

One of our goals is user customizable.

Thanks for the feedback.

If we dont receive too many requests here, we will develop it based on the feedback we already have.

If you have specific requests and suggestions, now is a good time to get them in.

Thank you for your time.

Regards.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

You will have the option to include or exclude images in the report. Realize that you do what the possiblity to have small and effective printouts.

I have also received requests to include the location of Fixtures for each part. I would like to get more feedback on this and how you would like to approach this.

Visual representation of toolpath start locations, the Rapid position of the tool along with the coordinates are other requests we have had. Knowing whether Z0 is at the bottom of the part or on top of the part is also important.

Tool length from the holder is another request that we have had.

Keep them coming.

quote:

I have also received requests to include the location of Fixtures for each part. I would like to get more feedback on this and how you would like to approach this.

I would think a place to put tooling fixture numbers.

Most company stamp the fixture so the info on what fixture to use would be helpful.

[ 04-19-2002, 03:48 PM: Message edited by: cadcam ]

Fixture information will be on the list of items to do.

What would be ideal to provide as information for the fixtures?

1. A text entry field for the end-user to indicate the exact types/names/part numbers of fixtures to use for the setup?

2. We will not be able to create drawings of fixtures, but in the same line of thinking, what would be ideal? If you have suggestions of pre-drawn fixture locations that can be provided or the user can select, would that be ideal? If so, do end-users have ideas, drawings or standard setup types for fixtures?

If the implementation is simple, we might be able to do it in the first version...

Also, if end-users / dealers have custom setup-sheets that they use, that are beyond what Mastercam offers, could you please email those to this email address: [email protected]

Thank you for your input.

Regards.

I would like to see a picture of the form tools I create it is hard to explane what a form tool looks like a picture is worth a 1000 words I have

not been able to do this with 8.1.1 it just gives me an undefined picture does version 9 do this or am I just doing something wrong we use a lot of form tools.

Thanks Darin CNC programmer

Hi Anbu

I would like a first page with a brife desribtion of all operations use in this program (Operationtype, toolnumber, tooldiameter, cornerradius, taper, stock2leave, and time estimate), stock size and material, motion max and min, postprocessor, nc-file name, Mastercam file name and date.

For every Operation I want a page showing a shaded image of the part and the toolpath,a mark showing the wcs and axis oriention.

Information I need from every operation are:

Operation type, Wcs (G54 G55..), Clearance/retractplanes (heights, abs/inc), Motions limits (Max/min XYZ(ABC)), Cut tolerance, Arcfilter (yes/no tolerance), Stock2leave, Stepover, Feed, Plungefeed, Spindelspeed, Coolanttype, Ramping Infos (type and clearance), Misc Variables (very usefull for 5axis programs) and Time estimate. I probely forgot a few. But the trick is. smile.gif

If you want a breif describetion: print first page.

If you want a full report: print the rest.

In most cases I think it's smart to print the full report. A lot of flaws can be catched, reading the report, while the machine are running the first operations. Paper are much cheaper than steel.

Claus@cimco

Good morning

I am in total agreement with Claus@Cimco .

quote:

If you want a breif describetion: print first page.

If you want a full report: print the rest.

In most cases I think it's smart to print the full report. A lot of flaws can be catched, reading the report, while the machine are running the first operations. Paper are much cheaper than steel.

except I am not convinced that The real world is metric cool.gif

If the Setup sheet is configurable and provides the user the flexibility to choose exactly what he wants to output in the HTML sheet, would you still need the option to export to an EXCEL file? Exporting to an EXCEL file format will not automatically allow images to be exported. Only text.

Thank you for all your responses so far. This is helpful.

Do any of you have any competitor's software Setup sheet outputs that you like, that we can take ideas from?

Thanks

Will look into the output option for the EXCEL sheet. Have to check with the programmer ofcourse.

Thanks for the information.

I do want to point something to end-users. What we will be doing will become the standard setup sheet output for Mastercam software itself. So, your comments will go into developing the ideal Mastercam setup sheet that every individual gets to use.

I dont think there will be an additional cost to the end-user once Mastercam implements this in the main software.

So, you are currently defining the future HTML setup sheet outout for Mastercam.

Regards.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Hello Anbu,

I use groups in the Operations Manager to define Machining Operations ie my first group is called 12345678-1NC1, then all the MC operations that go into my first machinig operation are in there. My next group would be called 12345678-1NC2, so on and so fourth. I oulld kie to be able fo find out which tools I am using in each group without having to open up each operation and write it down. The reason I would liek this is because where I work, we have like 12 VMC's and 2 Horixontals that use the same holder sizes and we don't always have enough holders (yeah I know buy more holders but that is not my decision) so if I knew which tools were used in each operation it would help during those times when we have to play musical holders.

Claus had some really cool ideas. I want what he wants too, I even prefer the Metric system.

JM2C

I agree with both rsbeadle and claus's suggestions. But I hope it would include all

of the following basic information also.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Company:

Print #: rev:

Part description:

Units:

Material: Size:

Programmed by:

Program Zero location:

Program #:

DNC ID:

Define operations:

Define tools:

(notes)

how to hold part

change clamps at “M00”

what the program machines

change T3 every 4 parts

etc….etc…..etc….

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

It's important to give the shop floor personnel

the information needed to run a job. Something that they can verify against their job paperwork.

I hope these and other suggestions will be implemented!