Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Multiple Tool path Groups

kennebec

We are haveing discussions as to the best way to handle parts with multiple operations, some like a new file for each operation, some like multiple tool path groups all in 1 file with layers and colors, we also disagree a bit about the use of WCS vs Moving Geometry, your opinions, Pro and Con are

appreciated.

Thanks Kennebec

I use 1 file for eveything with the wcs. 1 file uses less memory and the wcs keeps files smaller also because your not having to copy your geometry. Plus this way you can verify all ops without having to save an stl. Again, less memory. Only time I split them is for huge files when the computer starts to bog down.

I like doing evrything in one file too. But, I am working on two seperate parts right now that both have a 4 axis horizontal and 4 axis vertical machine in them and it does seem like the more WCS's you create the slower and less stable the file becomes. One of the parts I have done four or five different setups on without having to copy or move the original solid model. I like it this way but it does tend to become a little unstable the more you pile in to one file.

I am using XMR2.

Thanks,

Kevin C. smile.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

The most I've done in 1 file was 3 machines. 1 Lathe, One Wire and one HMC. 275 individual toolpath ops, and I want to say at least 6 WCS's tied to toolpaths - in X2 MR2 Beta no les and no issues, at least non that were not attributed to my ineptitude biggrin.gif

Now, Transform Ops... that's where I've had some issues with instability. They seemed to hace corrected the instability but have not sped things up. The more transforms you have the slower the file becomes.