Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

drip feeding with a fanuc18m contol

keith mc.

i finally got our new mill up and running with some major headaches but thats life. i got one problem, i can send and recieve a program and run it as long as it is small enough to fit into the memory of the machine so how do i run a drip feed program? with my fanuc18im control there is a button i push"drip feed" i dont see it on the fanuc 18m control. Do i need to change the i/o address? please help.

thanks banghead.gif

Can it use a Memory card if so just use M198 to call programs off the card? You will have to change the comm channel I think it should be 4 on your machine and the card should pop up on the screen when you go to program. Does the machine have a hard drive and can you possible pull it off the hard drive using the data server??

card works great for us. I bought several Sandisk pcmia adapters that use cheap compact flash cards. Bought a tub of the 32 meg CF Type II on ebay dirt cheap. I run ethernet to all 3 of my machines but at times it goes down I can always pull out some memory cards. The I/O setting for Ethernet is 9. Never used RS232 on Fanuc18i before.

Back in the day when I was still running machines on a daily basis, FANUC told me our 0-MA controls could not drip feed (DNC). Fortunately for me I ran in to Craig DeGarmo from Multi-DNC (now Spectrum). FANUC had told me they could fix me up with a mag tape system for 60 to 70k per machine. Wasn't going to happen. Craig advised me based on serial number what parameter to change to enable DNC. On some it was changing Parameter 128 from 0 to 1 and I was good to go. The parameter depends on the machine tool builder, but I can't imagine that there still isn't one for the 18i, etc. Craig was also able to provide info on adding memory chips to the controls to get WAY past the 120 feet of paper tape memory that came installed.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Memory cards work great. OUr customers use them all the time as Dataservers. There are some instances where it's not as good as a dataserver but I've only ever seen mold guys run into where they can;t get what they want feed-wise out of it. But they were still cruising at a couple hundred IPM.