Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Video tutorial any good?

MotorCityMinion

Mastercam X and X2

Milling Tutorial

Covers Versions X and X2

A Step-by-Step Video Training Series

by Professor James A. Sinclair, Ph.D.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Mastercam-X-and-X2-Mil...1QQcmdZViewItem

Saw this on EBay and thought I'd ask about it here. I'm looking to learn some entry level 3d skills and was wondering if anybody here has any experience with this video. Is it good, just decent , or a waste of money? Thanks for your comments.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

quote:

He has a very high feedback ratio that is long standing.

I can't say good or bad about him, since I've never heard of him. I just wanted to point out that having a good feedback record on ebay only says that he's selling what he says he's selling and ships within a reasonable time. It has nothing do with with the quality of the product (ie. is it a good video?) he's selling.

Thad

Yes indeed , the $40. price tag is alluring. I saw the video sample on EBAY and wasn't to impressed with it. I was thinking maybe somebody has some actual experience with this particular video. I also purchased a book called Learning Mastercam X Mill 2d Step by Step and thought that book sucked. $60. worth of aggravation if you ask me. I have another Video tutorial, Mastercam X mill CD, with some Australian chap narrorating, and its a fairly decent introductory tutorial that was also beneficial in helping me to decipher the book. Very little 3d content in both the video or book though. I'll check out the links on this page. If I do purchase the video, I'll comment on its quality in this same topic.

Yes indeed , the $40. price tag is alluring. I saw the video sample on EBAY and wasn't to impressed with it. I was thinking maybe somebody has some actual experience with this particular video. I also purchased a book called Learning Mastercam X Mill 2d Step by Step and thought that book sucked. $60. worth of aggravation if you ask me. I have another Video tutorial, Mastercam X mill CD, with some Australian chap narrorating, and its a fairly decent introductory tutorial that was also beneficial in helping me to decipher the book. Very little 3d content in both the video or book though. I'll check out the links on this page. If I do purchase the video, I'll comment on its quality in this same topic.

jay's is much more legible. i felt i could actually learn something. actually, i had one of my kids watch the video and give me his feedback. my kid said the other guy was boring.

jay...please contact me. i have been gathering literature and clips to do this for myself and my customers to add to my website. more specifically, i want to cover most of the common tech questions, have a place on my site for customers to go and watch the clips and THEN call with questions if there are any more.

call me when you can.

The ebay dude doesn't even have his toolbars set up right. No serious user would be set up that way. He also didn't explain picking the search point after using window selection.

Jay, I liked your video but even after buffering the entire video, it still wasn't smooth. The audio came through good but the video jumped. Maybe it's just my slow computer (550 MHz).

Thad

MotorCity,

I purchased a copy of the Mastercam X Mill tutorial by James A Sinclair PHD. These are very short and vague lessons that would only benefit someone with little or no mastercam experience. I nerver even finished the lessons. Here is a paragraph from the disk about the author:

Dr. James A. Sinclair is a leading Professor of Computer Integrated Technology & Business at one of New Jersey's largest Universities.

Professor Sinclair's years working in the business & industry as a top-level design and business consultant, plus twenty years teaching a wide variety of Science and Business courses at the University level, affords the highest degree of expertise and presentation skills. The Professor has a talent for delivering complex topics in an easily understood and entertaining manner. His technique of 'Casual Mastery' is designed to maximize retention of the subject, enabling students to employ the gained knowledge in their career.

He may be a good teacher but I don't believe mastercam is his area of expertise. I would go with something else.

MotorCityMinion, if you are asking if I am running Winblows XP yes with a Vista skin.

Trevor, I will call you later send me an email with your Cell.

I am going to start some training Videos for Varisurf then I was going to work on producing my own training videos as i have been asked by students for years.

What you want to do is what i wanted to do a while ago when I was still working for Tom full time.

Thad, I have a feeling it is the computer as I have tested off site on a few computers and on site with a few and had know issues with jumping.

I suggest you ask the boss for a faster computer.

Do you think the boss (Thads wife) would go for it? wink.gif

Can a few of you review this flowline one I made it to help someone on another board but know sound. I was wondering if you still could follow it pretty good still. Thanks for your time.

Flowline sample video

Jay, great job on both your video's. smile.gif

I use the exact methods on contour and pockets.

I don't have engraving as of yet. But with your

video I could easily convince my boss to order it.

BTW your video was very smooth on my end.

Your flowline video seemed fine for maybe the

intermediate user without sound.( a beginner may

get confused with all the dialog boxes and

parameters)JMO

With sound I am sure your thorough enough for the

beginner.

HTH

Thank you,

Rick

#313, (Jay ?), the video and audio and came through smooth on my comp. I'll check out the Flowline Video and give a noobs perspective on it, lol. If you dont mind me asking, how did you get the Vista skin in the XP OS? I'm running XP64 and can't get anything to skin as most skinning apps are made for XP32. New Mac OS, Leopard is out and said to be compatible with some PC's. Don't know if MC will run in that environment though.

Justin, I got the same impression from the sample.

You making fun of the noobs? None the less, awesome. Exactly the type of instruction I was looking for. No clutter in the part drawing. We dont do a lot of 3d work where I'm at, just the occasional odd shaped channel, ledge , pocket. When in doubt, we leave the part stock heavy, and let the artisans in the polish dept. finish it or we burn it in.