Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MCx on a Mac

cboggs

I used Gibbs on a Mac in 1988. When Mac was going belly up (so they though) Gibbs stopped making it for the Mac and went Windows only. Mac does offer some extras that Windows can't do. It was a simple system that was great for 2D works. Much faster to program then MasterCam, less mouse clicks too was the big seller. Just glad that Jobs stepped up to save the company.

• 1 month later...

We actually have a customer with Mastercam installed on a Mac. The side by side with XP thing you guys talked about. He actually loves it, says it does 3d machinning no problems. He says its even faster than the windows PC's in his shop. I wouldn't know how large his files are.

Mastercam v9 and X2 MR2 run very well on a macbook pro. I did not have time for an enormous amount of testing but I ran a few operations and setups on a dummy part with no problems at all.

We set up the mac using Apple's bootcamp software to dual boot with Windows XP therefore running Mastercam natively in Windows but on Mac hardware. I did not notice any difference compared to a windows box besides the new Macbook being one slick machine with the back lit keyboard and all. I also did not have time to run the benchmark like I had hoped but have no doubt it will as well as most PC's if not better per the hardware specs of the machine.

In the near future,I will also be running tests of parallels desktop,VMWare and CrossoverMac to investigate running Mastercam within the Mac interface. I will also benchmark those test and post my results.

SO, the answer is yes. Mastercam will run on a mac.