Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Partial thread MC9

Flycut

I've tried this in the past but have never been successful.

I put a file on the FTP site in the MC9 folder called Mazda3 cap.

All I want to do is draw a spline(thread), that starts at Point 1 Z0-.310 and ends at Z-0.47 on a 1.120 minor OD.

I'm sure there's about a dozen ways to do this and I can't even figure one out. frown.gif

thred.jpg

Thanks guys.

Draw the arc at z-.310

Then break the arc in pieces - say 4

then divide the total z depth differenc by 4

(.470 - .310) = .160

then (.160 /4) =.04

Create a point on the end of the arc by setting

z at -.310

then the next point at Z -.040 more etc. so you have 4 points at the different depths

then create a spline through the points

Set c- plane to 3-d when creating the spline

If you need more accuracy use more points

You could also use Ramp Toolpath ,but would need to do a little work. I would draw the Thread out then cut out the parts of the thread I did not want. Then you know how much distance you are ramping for that thread. Then you would make that the ramp depth. Then if you were doing 10 threads and it was a 16 thread then do a depth of cut and not use the Depth option use the finish option. Number of cuts 10 the finish amount of .0625. Now you would get 10 cuts where you could control lead in and out for each pass of the thread with also the ability to multi-pass. Now all the math is handled inside the post and you are not relying on some function spline to make the toolpath correct. I would make an arc at the top of the thread to cover that same distance you would be cutting with the ramp gives you more control.

Another way to do this is draw a helix and then cut out the section you do not want. Then use #d contour in the contour options and then increment the top of stock and depth to Zero. Then pick the 10 chains and would do the same thing if you could get the helix to break up right. You also have the multi-pass in this method as well.

HTH

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the help guys.

That was for the underside of my oil cap.

Now I'd like to do the top.

I want a 3D surface of the Mazda logo to go on top.

I've got a 2D outline of it now that I converted using Wintopo then cleaned it up and tried to keep at as few splines as possible.

mazda3.jpg

I have a file on the FTP site called Mazda3 for this thing.

What I would like to do now is create a surface that goes from the blue contour to the red center in a "pyramid" fashion.

Any help would be great.

I don't even know what surface creation type to use.

I would translate the red center geometry up in the z and then create ruled surfaces between the blue and red geometry to get your pyramid shape surfaces. This can get a little tricky depending on how the chains are broken up.... I dont have MC here at home, but if you can upload an igs file of this geometry to the ftp, I could do this for you in rhino pretty quickly if you want

[ 01-17-2008, 09:54 AM: Message edited by: Zero ]

This one yes.

I'm making a few others that will have different tops.

One will have a skull and a few others will be black anodized with some engraving threw the anodize.

I think I could get into trouble if I tried to sell something with someone else's logo on it.

• 3 weeks later...