Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

GIB OR DOVETAIL SURFACE

HEAVY METAL

I AM ATTEMPTING TO MACHINE A VERITICAL WALL THAT TAPERS IN FROM TOP TO BOTTOM 10 DEG.LIKE A SIDE OF A DOVETAIL. I AM USING A BULLMILL TYPE CUTTER WITH 1/2 ROUND INSERTS 1/4 RADIUS.I AM USING THE FINISH COUNTOUR TO STEP DOWN THIS ANGLE .05 PER STEP.CUTTER WAS MODIFIED ON SHANK TO GIVE CLEARANCE WHEN STEPPING THE UNDERCUT.I WAS TOLD BY A MC SALES REP THAT THIS WOULD NOT PRODUCE THE ACURATE ANGLE I WAS AFTER.HE SAID MC ONLY SEES THE BOTTOM OF THE CUTTER AROUND TO THE 90 DEG MARK ON SIDE OF INSERT. IS THIS TRUE . MY VERIFY LOOKED GOOD AND I MADE THE CUT STAYING A LITTLE BIT AWAY AND IT MEASURED ON THE MONEY PLUS STOCK I LEFT.

I have done this also>Cut backdraft not quite 10 degrees but 7 in a large rubbermold cavity with a 1 1/4 sandvik 2 insert tool,coincedently its a 1/2 round insert, it works.MC knows the goemetry of part and cutter,why not?It knows where it can and cant fit.Oh yea,did it along time ago in 7.2 with a polishing ball,lollipop cutter in some graphite.Forgot about that. smile.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I cut many closed angle walls as you describe, but resort to old wireframe toolpaths and ignore undercut error. It is great to hear that u can now do surface toolpaths using dovetail cutters.

Question; If using 1.375 diam dovetail with .125 rad., should I describe as 1.375 or would I use the resulting diameter after rad in this case about 1.320 ?.

When I do it with surfaces I tell it the Dia of te tool and the Radi.

Have done this many times.

I even have 4 more parts that I will have to do this to in the next week.

Hope this helps.

[ 05-14-2002, 09:30 AM: Message edited by: cadcam ]