Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

settings

Paul Felger

create a new config files for the different users

then a couple of short cuts on your desktop.

In the properties of the short cut it should look like this

C:McamX2-MR2Mastercam.exe "jmp.config"

each different config on a different short will launch that config up start up

Robert,

I have only worked at this company for about six months, we have 10 lathes in the turning dept. and three operators, the other two use MC9 and I am the only one tht uses X2 on the same computer.

Boss told me that he was going to get another seat of X2 and a new computer which is fine but I dont want my settings messed with. So puting two icons on the desktop should work fine.

I have been trying to train these guys on X2 but they like MC9, it would have made it easier for them to learn slow instead of being forced all of a suddon. Either way they should like it a lot better after a while.

In my opinion anyone who uses X or X2 for any extended period of time has to see the advantages over V9. It is far superior and the longer I use it the more advantages I find. I went back to an old V9 file today that someone else had programmed. I started looking at the file to determine what tool did what and it was such a pain. I updated the file to MCX2MR2 and it was so much easier to figure out what was going on. I used the "show only associated geometry" feature to help me seperate geometry onto different levels, I could verify right off a solid instead of having to create an STL file, and I used some of the extra select options in the operations manager such as by tool number, and by tool type, so I didn't have to hunt through the entire operations list to find certain tools. It just makes everything so much faster and easier. In time the guys you work with will come around they just need to get out of their V9 comfort zone.

It is hard to teach the old dogs new tricks, not that they cant learn but some people just fear change,if it work dont fix kind of guys, not me I always want the newest thing out there. I learned on X and I love X2 and cant wait for X3 and so on. i guess some companies dont opt for the maint. contract but I do give me more. I must say I love Mastercam since I opened the box. It has been challenging and frustrating but people here in the forum have been great cheers.gifbiggrin.gif

I didn't see a great deal of difference going from 9 to X...I saw the biggest growth from 7/8 to 9.

The major thing for me was needing to use the newer icons and using the mill got those in my head. I needed the big icons for a long time while learning the X style Bars. That graphical difference shouldn't hurt too bad if they can learn to find their old commands. Right clicking in the Manager area can give them the named commands if they don't like using the icons for Ops.

We have a lot of guys here also that won't make the switch to X2 or X, they insist V9 was the best version. I have tried many times to show them the advantages of the "X" versions but they just argue with me how bad of a switch it was, so I just tell them if they want to do things faster and easier to call me.

To be fair there is some real regime change in the the approach. Going to iconic menus after so many years of talking MasterCam Left Menu terms is quite a shift in a machinists mind. The settings for each tool are usually in need of some tweeking and the lag in learning can be daunting. I find I am not that much more efficient in the X. Maybe its just me though. I'm not going back, but sometimes the good old days of simple look pretty good.