Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Any other company that provides tool libraries?

neurosis

I think the lack of tool libraries from tool manufacturers may lie in the way MC programs tools using RPM and IPM. banghead.gif SFM and IPT are the industry standards yet MC doesn't look at it that way. confused.gif I personaly wouldn't want to give you my product info if I thought there was a good chance that it wouldn't be applied correctly and make my product look like junk.

I wonder if they will every change the tool library to use sfm and chipload? It would also be nice if everything wasnt calculated in percentages. It seems that it would be easier to put whatever sfm you want in the material library rather than having to calculate the percentage out for every single entry.

There was a company in Europe that tried to offer Mastercam compatable tool libraries and keep them up to date quarterly. He charged somewhere around $1,200.00 per year for a subscription if I remember. At that price he couldn't stay in business. Just look at your set of catalogs from whatever supplier you use, and imagine taking all that data and putting it in to a Mastercam (or any other vendor) format. It's a daunting task to say the least. Iscar and Kennemetal put out huge new catalogs of tools each year and that's just 2 vendors. Lathe tools seem to be a little more tame to try to handle but then it's still a lot of data entry.

I questioned it when V7 was in beta. Was told to look at all the catalogs on my desk and to imagine typing them all in every time a new one came out. I thought about my typing skills, and gave up.

JM2C

quote:

imagine taking all that data and putting it in to a Mastercam (or any other vendor) format. It's a daunting task to say the least.

Seems to me that you could make some kind of excel sheet to do all of your speeds and feed calculations for you?? You would think that once you built the original tool list all you would have to do is add to it and export. I wish that I knew how to use excel better. I would use it to create my tool library.

"Doesn't SECO own Jabro?"

Yes.

But they also provided a great Tool Library with Speeds and Feeds to Delcam........and they match the Jabro Handbook . . . . . . . .

From what I can see, anyone doing anything decent over here on HSM machines/applications are using Jabro.....

So if you have a guy who doesnt have to worry about feeds and speeds etc if he chooses Powermill .....(see where its going?)

Yes SECO does own Jabro.

(SECO USA is also one of Fraisa's best US customers, figure that one out?)

I don't know about Ireland but over here in the US of A most (not all) cutting tool reps know a little something about speeds and feeds. Distributors, on the other hand, do not!

Fraisa is releasing a CD this year that we are trying to make compatible with CAM softwares.

This CD is actually a guide for cutting tool recommendations based on what material you are machining. You simply type in what material, hardness, and application (ball nose finishing, bullnose roughing, etc.) you are cutting from a multiple choice menu and the software will actually recommend a tool, give you speeds, feeds, stepovers, depth of cut, etc. It is pretty impressive and user friendly.

quote:

I think the lack of tool libraries from tool manufacturers may lie in the way MC programs tools using RPM and IPM

Hmm....Have you ever tried to get feeds and speeds from a tool rep? Now imagine if you tried if you try it with a thousand tools! The problem lies in the format of the info from the tool manufacture. The format is different for every tool manufacture and even within the same company they can change formats for different types of cutters. This is something that we've been working on but its slow going.

The question you should be asking is "why doesn't mastercam have this" not blaming it on the way we're currently set up.

quote:

Sign of things to come?

Hmm.....stay tuned.

"The format is different for every tool manufacture and even within the same company they can change formats for different types of cutters."

+10000 Dead right

Every catalog has a different way - usually a range of parameters - you got to find what works best!

"Sign of things to come?"

"Hmm.....stay tuned. "

Mark, Are you holding out on us here? wink.gifwink.gif

Anything more you want to tell us?