Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

316 vs 316L stainless

somename75

quote:

Of course.... repeatability between bar composition seems to have room for improvement.

This is where the Carpenter 70 series shines, it cuts the same bar to bar to bar, and it cuts a little freer than "stock" 316

+1000 for Carpenter stainless. i was working on some gun parts in 410ss and we tried some regular ss for the prototypes. no repeatability from one to the next. switched to Carpenter and from the first to the last part 3 yrs later we were getting the exact same tool life and part size. thats 3 yrs, 24-7, 150 parts per day. never had to guess on when i will change a tool again. nice

What cutters are you using?

I have an ongoing 316L job that I use a ton of half inch endmills. I use variable helix EM's from Carbide Connection. They out perform Data Flutes and the rest of the high priced endmills that I have tried. I get them for about $34 apiece in quantitys of 25.

200sfm and .003 per flute. Drill an entry hole and go as deep as you have HP for. They like a little over half the dia for radial DOC.

I can certainly agree that the material is different piece to piece....

Nasty stuff.

Carpenters is much mo betta

So far I have tried mostly Hanita Varimills, and Niagra stabalizers, they do alright but the corners are blowing off at random intervals. I have tried lots of different approaches, mostly high speed area clear, with .1 doc, and 45% radial, with not much sucess. I have strong suspusion that this stuff has something abrasive in it.

As SAIPEM said it is the low carbon variant of 316.

It is weldable and also preferred for FDA / food processing equipment.

I use same speeds and feeds for 316/316L but I too cast my vote for Carpenter Project 70+ which is definately more consistent and worth the extra money.

316 can work harden so I would take a healthy chip load.