Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

break arcs

Jaz

We have a new high speed machine that apparently runs smoother and more accurately when programmed with lots of point-to-point data (lines) instead of arcs (has something to do with the way the look ahead handles arcs). Is there a way I can force MasterCam to always output arcs as point data? The deviation tolerance would need to be .0001". We are using a third party post so the point data needs to be in the .nci file.

The support arcs uncheck doesn't work...I ran into that. It will work if you are using an .apt post(or otherwise), but just outputting NCI it still includes circle statements.

The only solution I found was to modify the (3rd party) post to do it instead.

If I may ask...what post processor you using Jaz?

Yuck. I see what you are saying. bonk.gif

Now I am curious.

I would think a DBLCOM would define it, but I don't see any that spell it out.

I am guessing it can be done in fil somehow but that would be a bit nasty. I will let you know if I find out anything.

Turning off arc support in the control def worked for me. We had to do this for our Makino that has SGI.

control def

-Arc

-Mill

[]Support acrs n XY plane

[]Support acrs n XZ plane

[]Support acrs n YZ plane

edit

Not sure why it didnt work for you. Was the control def saved correctly and reloaded?

The machine/control this is for is a Makino Mag3 w/ their Pro5 control.

Contour tool paths could be broken up by the geometry, I will probably begin doing that.

I think the reason turning off arc support in the control def doesn't work is because the arc breaking occures at the post level and we are using a third party post processor.