Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Student- Spacing issue between drill and mat.

wdemock

Hey guys, I am new to mastercam, and have been playing around with it. I recently cut out a design, and noticed that when the drill had to move to a new start point, and when it returned home it left little to no space between the material and the bit. I have been looking in the program to figure out how to change it but have had no luck. I tried differnt values in the clearance, retract and feed plane, trying to see if the space would increase between the material and the drill but have yet to figure it out. Does anyone know how I can increase that distance, so I do not have to worry about possibly breaking bits.

Thanks

Well, you may want to show some code because i dont know if you use drill can. cycle or long format. But i know for sure that you will be able to control over it.

For Exam. if you use can. cycle drill

code

----------------------

G43H1Z1.M8

G98G81X0Y0Z-.1R.1F20.

----------------------

G98 will retract your tool above the part 1" before move to the point but if you use G99 instead your tool will retract only .1

Hope it helps

No, the gcode that runs the machines will be virtually identical.

This is a 3 axis router right? This should behave exactly the same as a 3 axis mill.

Depending on what kind of control you have, the formatting of the code may have a different look, but the operation and programming would be identical.

When you say cut did you actually cut on the machine. It is possible that the code is correct.

Is the top of your stock actually where you think it is? Was it machined before you drilled? Is the tool length offset correct. Is your Z in your work coordinate system (ie. G54) correct? Did your drill pull out? just a few things to look at on the machine side.

Retract should change this.

If you are changing the numbers in retract and it is not changing in the code, another possibility is that you have the Retract value in absolute and a value that is BELOW the point you are drilling.

Might check that...

I personally prefer incremental for everything except my clearance planes that way it is relative to the geometry I pick.

Alright, I tried some suggestions, and this is what I found out. I am using the router machine type, and I can see the retract and clearance values working, but the problem is when it is returning to the home position. The drill goes through its retract process to leave plenty of room but instead of returning to zero x and zero y, it zeros z first and then returns to x and y causing the little to no space between the material and drill. If you like I will post the code for a couple of processes I have been trying, but since I am new to this I cannot yet read code.