Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Hiring questions

I may sound crazy here, hence the name, but ISO, AS9100 are not all that hard, they are just specific things you must do and do as methodical steps to do the work of the customers who require this. You want to play with the big boys you got to do what the big boys do. Mind set, mind set and mind set are the key to anything and ISO is no different if you go into it with the mind set it is hard, impossible, and unachievable then you will never get there. You know what separates those that can do it and those than can not it is the CAN approach. If you would sit down and think out your day and apply ISO to that you would be surprised how much sense it makes. The thing with ISO is it wants everyone to do things a certain way. If you document your way and follow your way of doing things and aduit that way and are held accountable for that way you are ISO really that simple. I have seen many different companies try making a 1000 page book of things when a 30 page book is all they need.

Do what you say, say what you do, follow it. K.I.S.S. really applies to AS9100 and ISO and if you say we will post a program, have 4 people review it, we will then load the program to an un-proven directory on Z drive in folder Unproven within 10 minutes of it being completed and then we will run the program 5 minutes after it is on the server. We will then dry run that program 10 times before we do the 1st part. We will then run a 1st article and let the machine wait until we have a 1st article. We will then check each part 100%. You just painted yourself into a corner so deep I would laugh at you upon reading this in your ISO manunal. Again keep it simple. Give yourself freedom it is yours to have.

Jim good luck in your search there are some very talented people out there better than my self.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes ISO is really pretty simple. I learned long ago not to paint myself into a corner and not to hand cuff myself.

I spent a good number of years in the inspection department. I've been involved in getting companies Boeing certified back in the days of the D1000 system.

We have been planning and putting processes in place for over three years now with the ultimate goal of becoming ISO certified. It was that same desire to improve that led us to be named one of the Top Ten in America by American Machinist in 2006. We have long understood the value of designing processes so that we can improve.

Jim I think you are right on with the 100k here it will keep someone loyal to you! here it is so easy to contract for $100 to $120 hour here in washington but with no stability or loyalty. When I came here from my last place it was amazing how fast they were willing to pay alot of money for me to stay but why didnt they do that before I left.

Lights out in 6 - 7 months I think you shouldnt have to quit to get a raise. (if you are doing a good job for them)

if someone doesnt work out for you though dont hang on to them to long thinking they will get better it usually isnt the case.

Also you need to be willing to listen a support the person you hire for a position like that, it is frustrating to have your hands tied when trying to do this sort of project.

Rick, I completely and utterly agree that you shouldnt have to quit to get a raise. I'm of the opnion that if you are contributing to the companies success then you should be rewarded accordingly. We do profit sharing. It's based on doing better than the bid. I have a couple guys that get about a months salary every quarter.

And people wonder why you are growing and doing good. cuckoo.gifcuckoo.gifcuckoo.gif Jim you are just like a crazy person I know that feels if you take care of your employees they will take care of you. I am glad to see good things happen to a person who understand how to run a business.

OH yeah Don and I talk via email from time to time and he is a very sharp person.

Good luck and the right person is out there and will help you become the company you are wanting to become.

We were just over at the building we are going to move into last night talking and measuring. figuring out the layout. This is going to be fun.

Don is indeed a very sharp guy. We'll be talking more. He has very kindly given me a couple of posts for my turning centers that really solved some problems I've had. This is going to get good!

• 3 weeks later...

Jim you sound like a great guy to work for, it seems to me that good programmers are key to business success, and what better way to reward them than a little bonus for a job well done. The so called "bonuses" we get here quarterly are hardly worth a days pay and if anything it just makes you more discouraged than rewarded. Thumbs up to you, hope you find your right guy!

• 1 month later...

Good luck in your search Jim.

I would like to say to anyone looking at this position you aren't going to find a more beautiful part of the country to live. I live about 45 minutes South of Jim's shop. I've lived on the East Coast and the Midwest. I wouldn't leave here for anything!