Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Comp in control verify

kenfromlodi

Thanks guys,

I would refer to use wear but as I said I am at a new shop and they have been doing this forever and all the programs and operators are used to the control method. Too soon to make waves so I'm trying to conform for now.

why wont MC calculate and veify correctly.

seems like something it should be able to do.

I hate not being able to be sure at my computer before I send it out to the shop!

anyone else have any suggestions??

quote:

why wont MC calculate and veify correctly.

Because by using control, ANYTHING could be placed in as a tool, it seems not to calculate based on this.

It is especially prevalent when grooving.

I notice more issues in Lathe than Mill. We had used control comp here all the time for critical machining. Then, I started programming for lathe. Believe me, Lathe is a completely different beast. In lathe, I only program control in finish passes. Using it for anything else is a struggle.

I don't want to get into the control vs. wear battle. I see value in both. I guess I would be considered a "Moderate" when it comes to comp. biggrin.gif

JM2C

Rick

quote:

I hate not being able to be sure at my computer before I send it out to the shop!

that is the best and final arguement for using wear comp. You have no control over what the operator is going to put on the offset page.

With wear comp and D=0 you know the toolpath

will run properly.

I wish I could offer some help, but I never use control comp and have no idea how to make it

backplot oand verify properly in Mastercam

Neil,

Do a search on the forum. This has been beat to death a number of times. Let me sum it up:

Full comp in the control is the "old school" way of doing cutter comp. The main disadvantage is that you must use a perpindicular line move that is greater than 50% of your radius value, or the control will error out.

Compensation in the "computer" means you get centerline toolpath code only, no cutter compensation.

"Wear" comp is the best of both worlds, you get centerline toolpath, with G41/G42 on the finish passes. So if you want to take away more material, you would enter a negative offset in the control register (-.002 for example). If you want to leave more material, you would enter a positive value.

Bottom line: Wear comp is better, period. Anyone who prefers control compensation just doesn't understand the difference, or isn't a programmer.

I can't tell you the number of people I've run across who insist that full cutter comp in the control is "better", but can not tell you why. The most typical excuse is that the code in the machine matches the "print" so the operator can tell what is going on better.

I personally think this is a total load of bs.gif ,

An operator's job is to load stock, push the button, measure tools, and not try to second guess your program.

The only display they should need to be reading when setting up a job or running a new job for the first time is "Distance to go". Thats it.

quote:

Too soon to make waves

Its never to soon. This is one of the reasons companies higher people to begin with, to get out of the rut of "this is the way weve always done it". As long as you can back up what you say with good reasons and positive intentions its never to soon to rock the boat. Oh yeah, and its fun too.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! biggrin.gif