Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

project to a surface

Tim Pruett

Pete,

re: X2 MR2 SP1

This issue just happened to me yesterday. It is very common and not file specific. The quick work around is to just exit the file and re-open. It will then work perfectly. If we send you a file, you will not be able to re-create as it will be a "fresh file".

I do not have X3 yet so I can not comment on it.

Thanks for help,

Mike

Workaround = creating drafted surface <=0, length through project surfs. Or, copy geometry and create ruled/lofted surfs through the target surfs...

Create/curves/@intersection wink.gif

If you are short on time and don't want to wait to restart...

(Some files on some computers take a while to open up...)

"...can you enlighten us?..."

"View" - project in a direction defined by the Z-axis of the construction plane. This method does, behind the scenes, create an 'infinite' draft surface from the curve in the CPlane direction and then performs an intersection of that surface with the selected surface(s).

"Normal" - project onto a surface so that the normal vector of the surface at the projected location passes through the curve being projected.

The "Maximum distance" setting prevents it from finding unexpected solutions on, say, the far side of a surface or on other surfaces.

...and as I stated earlier...

Make sure the projection method is set to 'View' if you want to project in a certain direction.

'Normal' is really only for the case where your curve(s) is/are close to your surface(s) and you want to snap them onto it - and there's a 'maximum distance' control in that method only.

But, having said all that, it seems like there's definitely a problem lurking in there. I would like to verify that the problem still exists in X3 before diving into it. And if it is reproducible, is there a set of steps which makes it suddenly stop working?

• 4 months later...