Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

MATSS - dead topic?????

kazmir44

MATSS is not dead.. CNC Software

knows people need it and knows they are

loosing sales and long time users to other

CAM softwares.

They have a team of people working on it,

and they were giving demo's of some syncronized

dual turret milling at Westec.

I have no idea when it will be available.

I'm with you Kaz.

Rant-on

I've been waiting and been told since before "X"

that its coming. I even have a machine that my

dealer says they won't make me a post for until it happens. Been waiting on that for 2 yrs now.

I've used Mcam for 16 yrs and don't want to change. Breaks my heart to see them go with the Solid works thing, (we use pro-e), Simulation (we use Vericut) Art, and everything else instead of getting me the tools I need to do my job. My boss

is pushing Gibbs.

Sorry everybody, couldn't help it.

Rant off.

Yeah Mike do not let the fact that your company is losing money, that your job is made harder have any influence on your need for something that has been promised far too long. Any dealer that thanks it will work perfect on the 1st release needs to pass around that kool-aid they are drinking. I see maybe one or 2 machines working, but to be a fully viable entity I see X4 maybe being it and that is to say it came out anytime soon which I have no clue about.

Enough said is not enough to instill that I think it will be around or usable anytime soon. Sorry Jay I know the guys are working on it, but my customer still get pissed when we tell them that on parts that are over due. I wish I say enough said and that work with them, however it does not.

Peace, but MMT is in Fairy Tale land with Snow White till I put my hands on it, make code and not worry about our machine crashing because of it then it is reality.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Dealers are going to MMT post training in the next few weeks...

Kaz, the writer of the article you linked to is no longer at CNC. Meh wonders if he left in disgust of the Ivory Tower folks deciding to shelve MATTS for a bunch of years. (and a bunch IS NOT an exaggeration)

My point:

It's getting frustrating when I have a brand new $300,000 4 axis multi-function lathe sitting on my shop floor, but I don't have a rock solid way to program it. Even though my reseller says "yes I have a post for your machine". I know mastercam does not support the full capabilities of this machine. There may be posts out there that trick mastercam into posting out something close, but I'm looking for "full support".

Not to mention the other 4 axis lathe we've had for years and years. We've been manual editing the posted code since version 7.

I know that when I put together my financials for a new machine, programming full capabilities is part of the cost of that purchase. When you spec a new machine there is more than just the machine cost. Tooling, fixturing, programming, floor space, training, operator/programmer, verification, etc. Those are all things I would look into before I sign my name on the justification of a $300,000 machine.

quote:

programming full capabilities is part of the cost of that purchase

This is very true.

However, my reseller told me he could get me a post for this machine that would support all four axis, canned cycles, and the live milling.

This post may be configured to trick mastercam into outputting "something". But, mastercam does not currently support full 4 axis sycronization.

Which I was not fully aware of until recently.

Yeah, my reseller told me that X3 will help me get more chicks biggrin.gif (J/K Bryan).

Seriously though, Total the cost of adding another CAM package that will do what you need including purchase, option, posts, training, learning curve, etc. Then estimate cost of the extra time and "lost capabilities" of your current programming. Then compare. If its really that bad you should be able to justify a new package. My guess is that if most of us did this exercise we would see that its not really that bad right now.

BTW, I am in the process of modifying a post for our new Star swiss type so I feel your pain with wait codes/synchronizing, etc. However, we can live with a little post mod/hand editing for now verses spending $25,000 getting a new CAM package.

quote:

Yeah Mike do not let the fact that your company is losing money, that your job is made harder have any influence on your need for something that has been promised far too long. Any dealer that thanks it will work perfect on the 1st release needs to pass around that kool-aid they are drinking. I see maybe one or 2 machines working, but to be a fully viable entity I see X4 maybe being it and that is to say it came out anytime soon which I have no clue about.

***RANT*** bonk.gif

This subject REALLY touches a nerve with me.....

I was discussing MATTS with the boys at CNC clear back in about 2001.....

When I took this job in Oregon in 2003 one of the things they wanted me to do was to integrate the programming of Mill, Lathe, and Wire EDM.

I told them that MATSS was in the works and we should be able to get those screw machines rockin'

soon.

Finally could not wait any longer for syncronization and purchased Partmaker...

Now with that investment upper Management won't even consider buying into MATSS or MTM or whatever it's called this month....

Now we have to deal with two different CAM packages, two maintenance packages, etc. etc.

Very disappointing to say the least.

This should be priority #1 at CNC if you think about how many of these new multi-axis mill-turn machines are coming out now.

Solidquirks can wait in my book....

Ok, that's the end of my rant.......

Ron I have tried to keep up with your canned text threads here, and I think our machine is very simple and won't need such complex post mods. Our machine only has front gang tooling and a stationary back working tool post, so we won't be doing any pinch turning or simultanious drill/turn/mill on the same spindle. Our wait codes are primarily for part transfer, cutoff and Z axis sync for long milling parts. It should be fairly easy to get what I'm looking for.

But, I will definately email you when I come across a question.

Thanks.