Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X2 MR2 SP1 SHUTTING DOWN OFTEN

M_CODE1

Recently updated to the newest version of MasterCam and got a new computer this week. I have been have problem with MasterCam locking up. I was doing surface milling the other day and it was doing it ever now and then, now today when I am doing simple lathe parts it is still doing it. Does any one know of any setting that I should changes from the "out of the box setting" that I stil have them at?

I have the same problem. If I am working on anything, and it seems to get worse in part files that I do allot of copying and moving of tool operations, I probably get about 10 crashes a day. Ive done several fresh installs and have tried changing settings around and nothing has worked for me. It gets especially frustrating when youve done 20 minutes of work and it crashes for no apparent reason losing all of that time. Ive just made it a habbit to hit the save button after every few commands. I also have mastercam set up to back up. This has saved my butt several times due to the amount of crashes. I originally thought it was just the pc that I was working on (older pc) but im on my third pc now and it has done it on all three.

Check in System Config/Files and see

where your Temp folder is.

When Mastercam is closed this folder should be empty.

When shut down normally Mastercam cleans this folder

out.

Crashes can leave all sorts of debris behind which

can cause trouble for future sessions.

If you've been crashing alot you've probaly

got a ton of junk in there.. cleaning it out may help

Im running Microsoft Windows XP Professional

5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600 and have a Nvidia Quadro FX1500. Ive had the same problem with three other pc's and three other video cards. I havent tried the performance settings either but I think i'll give that a shot too. Im sick of all of this crashing. So is the guy that pays for the seat of mastercam.

The crashing problems I've had in the past were often caused by video drivers. If you still have problems after changing the performance setting and Gcode's suggestion then try to update your video driver and/or call your reseller and ask them what driver they recommend. Some new PC's come with older drivers.

HIH

I cleaed out the file and changed the setting.

My vidio driver is the newest, stupid Dell does not even put a vidio drive on a machine that is capible of using 2 monitors in the dule view mode. The originl one only supported the same view on both screens.

Hey guys,

If you are doing a lot of copying operations, you need to periodically do a "replace" on your machine group.

When you are working on a Mastercam file, the Machine definition is loaded directly into the MCX file. Doing a "replace" reloads this information and helps with crashing issues.

Also, check the Temp folder like gcode said, and check your video card settings.

For the FX series of video cards, you should be able to go into the Nvidia display panel and change the profile to "solidworks".

Some of the FX panels also let you choose a desktop "profile". Set this to "CAD".

This should help...

Also, if you are using Solid Geometry to drive your toolpaths and you've moved the solid around in Mastercam, run the "NoHist" Chook to remove the Solid History.

Final suggestion: Run RAM Saver at least once an hour.

HTH,

PS, How are you doing Dave? Hope everything is well.

quote:

When you are working on a Mastercam file, the Machine definition is loaded directly into the MCX file. Doing a "replace" reloads this information and helps with crashing issues.

If the same file is crashing over and over this may fix the problem. I had a very large file crash

on me during a Verfiy session a couple of months ago.. after that it crashed constantly.

I ran a repair then a complete uninstall, registry cleaning and reinstall, all to no avail.

Then I though I'd try the file with a different machine and the problem was gone.. so I reloaded the correct machine and the crashing didn't come back..

I guess the verify crash corrupted the local copy

of the Machine/Control Def???

This information has been very useful.

I took a file home. that crashed all day long just from clicking on the parameters of tool paths, and it did not crash at home at all.

I also replaced my config file that I back up awhile ago. not sure if that helped but replacing the .mmd sure seemed to work.

thanks

rick