Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Solid Fillet Issues

Todd Wertz

I have built a complex solid and need to add radii to it. However, it's got me stumped. I've built this thing so many ways I don't even remember them all. I need a variable radius at .5" on the lower left to .1875" on the upper right. The solid is located on the ftp under Solids and is named Cladding Forum Only. I used X2 MR2 SP1 to build it.

Thanks

Todd

Well that is asking a lot out of Mastercam. You have many points along the edge there and where do you decide where your break points are. I would try this as surfaces before I would attempt this as solid. Solidworks, Catia, Pro-E would be some of my 1st choices for what you are asking.

HTH

In Solidworks, like this?

radiusvar.png

or something more like this?

radius2var.png

[ 05-02-2008, 07:02 PM: Message edited by: JParis@CNC Programming Solutions® ]

quote:

In Solidworks, like this?

Yeah, go buy another $4000 worth of software then spend the next few days learning how to use it to create variable fillets.

Uh huh, that really helps the poor guy get the job done in Mastercam!

Don't you just love people who are eager to spend your money for you?

Bob,

WTF is your problem,

if you actually took a minute to READ the thread, you'll see he tried it in SW himself but your head is so far up your xxxx, that you can't see the sun unless you open you mouth.

Here,

let me point it out for you too

quote:

Tried it in Solidworks: no go.

quote:

Uh huh, that really helps the poor guy get the job done in Mastercam!

you bring anything to the table to give him a hand besides your wise comments and your slams?

quote:

So exeffingscuse me, xxxx.

dont ever make me a moderator... I would have banned your xxxx from that.

trollin are ya? headscratch.gif

Sorry folks, I was away all weekend. I need the other 2 edges filleted. Mastercam will do a variable fillet down the edges you did; without hesitation. I need a continuous variable fillet a around the other two edges. It is not that important where the fillet begins and ends it's transition. I was going to use the long edge just above the 1" radius.

Thanks

Todd

Thanks John, you wouldn't believe how many times I've rebuilt this model. I tried it several different ways, just trying to get the fillet on. This is, however, the most stable form of it. If no one can get it I'll probably go back to the drawing board and start rebuilding it again.

No way Todd,

That edge is way to complex, I think you will have to build that in a different order perhaps, while being aware of the radius as building

Todd,

I didn't take a look at your model

However when filleting there are some golden rules.

Always put your big fillets in first.

If you put small fillets first the big ones can interupt or remove an edge and that will not work.

The other thing is that if you examone your solid un-shaded, you will see how big of a fillet is possible, again if there are visible edges or curves then you will not be able to encroach on these.

I hope this helps you understand filleting better.

cadd.jpg

3 sec in Wildfire....

Mastercam is kinda lacking in the fillet department...I could do it in MC, but it would take me a while to define the sweep, would not been a fillet...

I exported this from Pro-E as an IGES, imported it to MC, then solidified it within Mastercam from surfaces.

The STEP translator would not read the file.

I could give it to ya if ya want just let me know if you want me to put it on the FTP...

quote:

It did change some faces.

Sorry I should have told you about the changes I made.

On the front strait side where the .5 radii turns the corner up, I rebuilt that and part of thae 1" radius in Mastercam with a net surf When I was trying to have Mastercam do the variable fillet.

Pro-E did not change any faces it just added the fillet.

As I said, I could do the same thing in Mastercam with your model, but the way you built it, I would have had to do a sweep.

I could have rebuilt the model a different way, and Mastercam's variable fillet would have probably worked with a little more definition.

Pro-E was definately easier in this instance because it leans more to the CAD side of the equaison and Mastercam leans towards the CAM side. It would have let me use your supplied model without any editing or rebuilding.

But if you really want my personal opinion, Mastercam + Pro-E Wildfire makes the Ultimate team...

Solidworks is a great tool, but IMO, Wildfire is superior when it comes to geometry creation...

PS...there is nothing at all wrong with creating surfaces first instead of a solid...in this particular instance I would have built a surface model, then turned it into a solid...

That is how I work in Pro-E anyway...

Everything is always a surface first then solidified later...

Much more complicated geometry can be built that way without any of the problems...Pro-E is not without it's bugs and glitches...no software is...

Thanks for the advise. To me, building with solids is invaluable. These folks are going to ask me to make so many changes, I'll be working on it for a month. If I can get clean solids my changes take half as long. That was why I'm working in solids: one click changes.