Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

still slow on the job front

hello, what's going on out there confused.gif . everybody is slow. no work anywhere.i know it will take some time to get the defence work flowing,but jobs are hard to come by right now. we are on 36 hours. i can't stay at this place to much longer. i have a newborn,and my house note is BIG. just stoped to say hello and to hear other people's input on things thats happening in our industry. hope everybody's doing ok. smile.gif

I've recently heard of things starting to pick up. Co's that had laid off 1/2 their workforce were hiring back, even some overtime. Things have definitely slowed, and several co's have closed. Those that hang in there will be very busy in the future.

I read an article a few days ago that described how much hotels, airlines, and rental car agencies were booked for the summer due to pent-up demand. One customer of mine does a lot of Boeing work, and they are even getting busy again.

Also, the Pentagon is doing a big buildup of smart weapons (esp hellfire) to replace what was depleted in Afghanistan, and to get ready for what's next (can you say IRAQ). eek.gif

A good time to take an extra class at the local tech school to upgrade your Mastercam skills?

Yeah things have been really slow, I have no clue were people have all this money to go out and buy new homes. Cause people in California are buying homes like crazy. The whole economy sucks and everything is slow right now, not just the aerospace/defense industries. They keep saying it'll pick-up "WHEN DAMN IT"

Hey "SCOTTIE" Let go get some Chineese food man I'm Hungry.

We have one job on the floor and one in the works

that will keep the five of us left in the tool room busy till mid summer,Heck after three months on 35 hrs we just kicked it up to 40!

For the second tool were building I told them I needed A $25,000 4th axis and VS 9 w/solids

(Hopefully I'll get the software at least)

90 shops have closed there doors forever in Chicagoland and suburb's in the last two years.

Good luck to everyone.

Pretty slow here also,but on 45,considering last year avg. @ 55-60.Most of the other

guys I work with 36-40 per week,but in the mold industry one of our biggest hold ups is our own government.Meadville, Pa. and Erie,Pa. used to be tool and die capitals of the world

about a half hour from each other,not very big cities but in 2 years over 160 closed shops.

Out of work toolmakers are abundant here,if you cant run everything it is hard to get a job.

Lets hope for a better 3rd and 4th 1/4. frown.gif Does the frown mean depressing?

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well, our company is pretty busy. We hired a few people over the last month. Nothing but Operators and Conventional Machinists but our customers are increasing their orders a smidge. Should be back to where it was before 9/11 in a year or so.

NOW is the prefect time to be upgrading your skills, so that when things get really going again you are ready to meet the new challenges, step up and do well, and perhaps make more money. I know Education has played a key role me being where I am today. As a matter of fact, If I did not go to the Community College, I can safely say that I would be earning about $20k-$30k less per year. I don't know about you but could you make it on $20k-$30k less per year? Education, Education, Education. Local Communtity Colleges, and Trade Schools are a great place to start.

Art, why don't you come on down and take that Mastercam class you've always wanted to take. They are putting together a new class here pretty soon for both the Basic and the Advanced, so you can make more money in the future.

JM2C

I talk to lots of users.

I know I guy in nebraska who is woking about 70 hrs a week.

A few CT shops have gone back to offering saturday overtime and my sense is that things are picking up on the east coast.

Just had a trade show in Mass and attendance and leads were up from same show last year.

hey beav700, can i barrow some of your hours? just kidding. i would love to be on 66 hours. hey james i might take you up on that offer. are these saturday classes? i work nights, and i am pretty busy in the day time. my mom just found out she has cancer and i just moved her in with me.and i have to take her to the hospital every day for the next 3 months. i also have a 4 month old son that i have to watch in the a.m. but saturdays can work out fine. let me know please. thanks. hey beav700, what kind of parts does your company manufacture.

[ 06-01-2002, 02:31 AM: Message edited by: ARTY2000 ]

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

They are looking to fill a Saturday class. Training Centers Locations You can go to this page to get the phone number. You'll want to talk to either Augustine or Dennis. They'll get you hooked up.

Bummer about your Mom. Chemo what's taking her to the hospital? I hope things go well with her.

Have you always worked nights?

yeah, i have been on nights on and off for a couple of years. it's ok now because i can take care of the baby and take my mom to get chemo. she helps with the baby also. i don't get much sleep eek.gif but i got to do what i got to do. i'm on nights now. and my wife takes over in the night time. we are both off on saturday, so maybe i can sqeeze a class in. but i got to get a better job. this 36 hours are killing me. i am running mazaks 5 axis intergrex and i'm using mazak camware.