Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

A quick and hopefully not to lame of a question

bassn_07

Hello everyone. I've been lurking and fully utilizing the search feature here on emastercam for a couple of weeks now and I have a few lame questions to ask. I'm sure this has been discussed before but this is a excuse for me to finally post something. I think this only my 3rd or 4th post in the last year or so.

Is Verisurf some type of new verification feature that will help with 5th axis simulation? How does X3 compare with X2 from a verification stand point? We mainly use our Mazak 6305X for positioning. I've only been on the machine for a couple of weeks now due to our 5th axis programmer quiting with no notice. My boss asked me take on this task since I have experience in the multi axis lathe (Hitahci Seiki HiCell CH250). I've been using Esprit software for the past 4-5 years and Mastercam is totally new to me. Anyways that's just a quick summary of my situation and I hope the question I've asked and the ones to come don't seem to lame. Thanks in advance and I think this is a very informative forum.

quote:

I have a few lame questions to ask.

The only dunb qustion is the one you dont ask!

quote:

Is Verisurf some type of new verification feature that will help with 5th axis simulation?

Verisurf is CMM programming software, Verisurf also do some chooks for MC.

quote:

How does X3 compare with X2 from a verification stand point?

X3 verify is better than X2 for the simply fact 5-axis verify is now standard.

quote:

Is Verisurf some type of new verification feature

Verisurf is a 3rd party add-on used to drive CMM's

Vericut is a very good 3rd party verification program..

Your system could have a chook which launches Vericut from inside Mastercam.

CMM = co-ordiante measuring machine

A machine that uses a probe to touch onto the work peice and measure coordinates and features.

They are normaly programmed offline using software like Verisurf, PC demis but there are manual machines even portable ones.

We have all three types at work and use them to inspect parts.

Rosebank

HTH

"but is the out of the box verification really that bad?"

It depends on your point of view. My view is that verifying an internal cam file rather than a G code file is the wrong approach. What you see when you verify an internal cam file is not always what you get on the machine.

Perhaps a better question might be when will Mastercam verify a G code file rather than an internal cam file? wink.gif

[ 08-11-2008, 11:30 PM: Message edited by: NeilJ ]

I find most of the time out of the box does great. it's when you start messing with the code or doing some multiaxis and you want machine checking.

Also helps when proving out a post that you are fooling with.

But for most 2 to 3axis mastercams out of the box takes care of it.

How many of you have true verification software and use it for all your tool paths.

I have it and barley use it and I write allot of programs that run lights out and never used outside checking.

But I know for checking a program after the customer says this does not work. I have them send me the code that they used and check to see what hacking they did. I have got a few customers in the past to hack my code and blame ME.

Well that was enough for me now.

Do most people have a perfect post or is hand editing typical? I use Esprit to program my multi axis lathe and it's post perfect...quite impressive. Is this something I should expect out of Mastercam for the Mazak 5th axis? Thanks again guys for the input. This site will definitley help ease the transition to Mastercam...

You can get your post to output perfect, error free code straight from Mastercam, no hand editing required. You do have to invest some time and energy into doing it yourself, or you have to pay someone (typically your reseller) for a working post. Most 5 axis posts are rather expensive, but that depends on your point of view. One of the great things about Mastercam is that the post language is documented and available for your reference. This means that if you spend some time and learn the MP language, you can develop any type of post to your heart's content.

What kind of machine and control? Is it a Variaxis? I've done posts for most kinds of Mazak controls before.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

...Do most people have a perfect post or is hand editing typical?...

I think it's unnecessarrily typical.

Over the years in my position I run into A LOT of people that just LIKE to hand edit code. eek.gif For the life of me I can't get my head around that. Then again, why people still model their toolpath ALL THE TIME is beyond me. In V3 through V6 it made sense a lot of the time. BUt I still see it (more lately because I've been encountering people with little to no formal training in Mastercam that don't really know any better)

Productivity is always big push of mine especially when I do training with my customers. I try to get our customers to think in terms of what is the most productive menthod to accomplish a given task, and to continuously improve their processes. To me even if you have to pay someone to dial your posts in it is indeed money very well spent.

JM2C

Agree...I believe a post should be perfect and hand editing is a mistake waiting to happen. Like I mentioned before I'm new to both Mastercam and Mazak and it might take me a bit to figure out exactly what I need. I definitely know where to find the answers...emastercam! Thanks guys this is truly a great forum with very informative members.