Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

create curve all edges

chad fisher

Hey folks i hope i can get an answer to this? smile.gif We deal with pro-e files from our designers

and sometimes they forget to output wireframe with the surfaces, when this happens i will go to

create/curve/all edges/all surfaces, and it gives me the wire frame. The problem is it also gives splines

underneath the lines and arcs, and this is with simple box style geometry. When i can i just delete all splines

but on more complicated parts i cant do this because the geometry is actually a spline. I am working

with ver8. Any help from all you masters would greatly be appreciated. Thanks, Chad

smile.gif

Hi Chad, if theyre exporting you iges either have them re-export it,or what I usually do is create

curve one edge just where I need them or all edges and select those surfaces indepently,I try not to do all surfaces,because that is 2 lines where the surfs meet.I dont like alot of lines splines and arcs showing when i am looking into certain detials.OR I have our engineering re shoot out the file.

We have them export in iges and for the most part the designers remember to export in wireframe and surfaces, but when they forget it sometimes takes an act of god for them to go back and re-export the file. We use to use the pro converter but it got to be to the point that we were up dating pro and the converter was a couple months behind so we ended up just switching back to iges. Thanks Kev i did not know i could do that, i will have to try that. Thanks for the fast response folks! smile.gif

KMaynard's suggestion is OK. It will, however, in some instances give you a lot of very small arcs and that is not good either. Whether the engineer gives you the .PRT or .IGES file, I strongly suggest doing as Mold100 mentioned. It will do a couple of things for you: 1) Keeps a lot of unused and unwanted crap off your screen, 2) will give you only the geometry you need to work with with out having to worry about duplicate or overlapping entities and so forth. If you are working with ProE, I can say from experience that the problem you have is a hughe headache. One of the things that would be a tremendous help, would be to get Solids and import the file as a Solid. It will be a lot easier for you to work with and will give you the geometry you want. I do not neccessarily mean programming with using the solid, but acutally reading the part in and getting good lines to drive tools with.

Or the next best thing, tell the engineer to start using SolidWorks and you will never have this problem again. Either importing a solid or surfaces!!!!!

Just my .002$ which comes from personal experiences.

quote:

We deal with pro-e files from our designers

and sometimes they forget to output wireframe with the surfaces

This is how I do it ===

Get the custermers file on the screen.

Solids

Next menu

From Surfaces

then

File

Converters

Parasolid

Write file

then

read file (use the default settings)

You will have lines for lines, arcs for arcs,

and where ever this is not possible you will still have splines, (but no double anything)and you can still create surfaces from the parasolid.

my pref is to automatically DELETE-ALL-POINT-LINES-ARC-SPLINES and then CREATE-CURVE-ONE-EDGE

to get what i want. that also eliminates the chance of grabbing the wrong spot sometimes. i dislike working with splines almost as bad as i

dislkie working on the plumbing at my house.