Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Curves on edge

EazyE

Curves from solids are much cleaner. With surfaces, you'll get 2 curves from a shared edge. With solids, you'll get one.

There is a bug that was fixed in X3 that makes some edge curves real screwy. When created from a surface, it was fine.

In summary, I would never use curves from surfaces unless I absolutely had to.

Thad

If you do ever create edges on all SURFACES be sure to make your next step delete duplicate enities. As Thad stated when using surfaces it creates a curve at every edge thus creating 2 edges on all surface edges that touch another surface edge. I have used surface edges to project geometry for use like a boundry anbd odds and ends at times for creating blend surfs. just my .02.

Here's an example of the funny edge curves that you'll occasionally get from solids prior to the fix in X3. The spiral looking curves in the middle of these three holes are the edge curves when made from a solid. Create surfaces and then extract the edge curves and you'll get a nice circle. I'll gladly deal with the occasional curve like this from solids than deal with the overlapping, non-duplicate spline crap I get from surfaces.

edgecurves.jpg

Thad