Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Level sets

Michael Reynolds

Hi Michael, nice to see you back cheers.gif

We used them to organize our die designs. All form steels, trim steels, strippers, windows, adapters, etc are kept on their own levels. All lower details are assigned to the lower level set and the upper details assigned to the upper level set. It makes it easy to see only the upper or lower half of the die. From there, you could easily isolate trims, forms, etc.

Thad

Well look at this way , you have a mold. I know you don't do mold work but this example makes sense ,I hope.

Mold's have Hot halves and cold halves.

the cold half can contain allot of geo from injector pins to return plates to cavity's or even cores.

And so on for the Hot half.

So you may take the first 100 levels and use those for the cold halves and the next 300 to 400 level e's for the Hot halves. mark the hot level sets as HOT and the same for the cold halves with Cold.

Now when you want to work on the hot half you don't unselect 100 levels and turn on 100 more levels. this now can be handled by using the ON and OFF level sets as this has now made groups for you in the levels that can be handled easer.

I use it to quickly bring all OP1 levels to the top of the list. Or OP2, OP3, EDM, Fixture stuff etc...

Its just another tool to manage data as your file get more complex.

While we are on the subject:

What I see out of alot of the people is that they don't put much effort into good documentation and data managment along the way while they work on a file. I describe my toolpaths in the comment fields for all operations and can't imagine how people can make sense of their files when they don't take the time to do this. Especially 6 months later when they open the file to try and make some sense out of it.

Just my .02$

• 2 months later...