Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

adv 5x causing swap memory problem

Steve Hattori

Generating a 5x path causes an error that says, "Allocation of a chunk of memory (1195848 Mbytes) has failed Please free up memory or increase your swap memory space". Not really a very big toolpath- parallel, .010" stepover and .001" cut tol..

I've never seen that before. XP64, 4g ram, 4g space avail on disc, X3 pc version. I can't seem to find where to adjust the page file size, if that's what its talking about....

Anyone else seen this?

quote:

how do I increase page file size?

right click on my computer >> advanced tab >> performance button, you can set it in there.

I suspect that is not the problem.

Where I see so many different files from many different people I have seen this on small to large files.

I think it's related to different settings in the original users system but I am not positive on that account

Actually, when I look at what it wants- 1,195,848 MEGABYTES--uh, I think that is a Terabyte of data!

No way can a tooltpath be that large. At least not this one, anyway.

SO off to CNC for another bug to work on...I'll have to find an different path. This part has generated a few other bugs for CNC to fix also- a verify of the finish pass crashes out with a "fatal error". They were able to get it verify only "sections" of the path without flame-outs.

But, i am getting a lot of 5x experience trying get something to work.

Generally 1/2-3/4 of your ram is what's recommended for Virtual Memory. Remember bigger page file/virtual memory the more thrashing of the HDD. Try to keep it low so it uses the Ram instead. 4 gigs of ram is way more than most systems need. Mcam needs CPU onboard cache more than anything else, see Benchmark Thread smile.gif

Get rid of some files, you need more HD space. Think about it. How are you going to increase your virtual memory when that goes on your hard drive and it's full? The registry or file allocation table is not included in space used or free space and it could easily have the remaining 4Gb used. Your HD is full and really weird things start happening then. Every program and file you have running has a copy created to run in RAM and that is written to the HD only when you close or save it but if your low on RAM that too is written to the HD as virtual memory. Get approx 20% free space on your hard drive and things will work much better.

I think the message is a red herring, I've had it myself before and I'm just trying to remember what caused it...

Ummmmmm...........

Right, yes, I think it was due to a file that was created via an add on package from Verisurf.

Maybe its down to the Verisurf add-on that gets installed as part of the Catia Converter from Intercam (Moldplus). The add-on bit they bundle in is called MBD (Model Based Dimensions I think). Either that or you may have some actual Verisurf software installed on your system. I haven't got a solution, just a workaround. Delete the "1VERISURF.FT" file from your MCAMXCHOOKS directory.

Collin .

What haps ?

You agree with me ?

LOL

In most cases you do not need splines .swarf geometry can be on the different height or tilted

to real geo .

It is like to drive wire EDM

Most of times you can use arcs and lines instead of splines

Errata swarf instead of swap ,sorry

Hi (is is Alex?),

I actually agree with you often and also appreciate a lot of your poetry.

For rebuilding splines, I start by using the Create | Point | Endpoints function. Then I use Create | Point | Segment and set the spacing to a tight value, usually .005-.01. This generates hundreds to thousands of points.

Once I've done 'point segment' I run 'delete duplicates', as you will always have a duplicate point at the start of the spline from running 'Create point endpoints'. Then I use Create | Spline | Automatic and select the first, second, and last points in the spline.

This works great, but leaves you with a spline that is very complicated mathematically, as it has a huge number of node points. To fix this, I run the Remove Nodes Chook and use a tolerance of .0002. This generates a nice accurate spline without it being over defined.

Just thought I'd share this with everyone...

Thanks,

My point is in most of cases you need no splines at all

let say you have a cone trimmed with tilted plane .

Now you have resulting geometry -ellips ,means spline

but you can use arc of the parent cone instead -for swarf it is the same ,but geometry is cleaner .

As for recreating geometry I use different way .

I break spline to segments with very tight tolerances .0.002 mm

I have lines now .I change color of big lines

Small lines I convert to arcs with the new color .

After that I delete first color .

Now I have clean accurate geometry .

But in most of cases I only recreate parent geometry and that`s all

Collin .

Thanx for your words .

HTH

BR

Bogus, I think you are right about the memory thing, and I'll fix it- but that's really a different problem being highlighted by the fact that X3 is trying to create a toolpath that is 1.2 TERABYTES long..!!! SOmething is wrong there, so,

Colin thanks very much for you spline tip, I will exxamine the geo and see if I can fix it somehow.

Iskander/Alex?/ mystery poet? smile.gif , thank you also for your tip on clean geometry, that is another worthy trick!

This part is a big compressor screw with variable pitch lead, and very odd profile on the face of the blade, and even the original solid makes mcam choke a bit. I converted it to surfaces, and deleted the solid just so it would open without waiting 10-15 secs...this thing has crashed X3 about 40 times now..

Thanks you all for your attention! I will try some of your tips and report back