Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 FBM - Anyone using it?

Josh T™

for the parts i program i dont use it its all high speed toolpaths (some of are machines and operators cant handle it curse.gif )(we have done it like this for 25 years cuckoo.gif )and for me puts to many extra moves in eek.gif i really havnt played with it that much and i might be missing something idea.gif

looks like it would be great for sq stock biggrin.gif

just my .02

cheers.gif

I've only played with FBM a little... as in very little. From the tutorial I did it appears to produce very inefficient toolpaths.

The only advantage I can see is that it might eliminate some druggy but I would then need to edit the heck out of everything it produces.

Our shop is so busy and I'm still coming up to speed on other aspects of Mastercam that I haven't had time to really dig further to see if the toolpaths FBM produces can be made to be much more efficient.

I am curious to know how well something like UG NX CAM Express does with feature based machining because from what I've seen it looks much more advanced that what Mastercam has at the moment. Even if it worked I’m not sure I’d be given the time to properly set it up. I certainly would like to hear from others doing prototype machining if they feel FBM has been beneficial to them... even if it’s in another product.

The way it appears to me at this point is that FBM was added to Mastercam so that CNC Software could say we have it too so don’t switch to CAMWorks or whatever. I know I would have much rather seen the work go into fixing the items I have listed on my blog and have posted to the enhancements section of this forum.

I'm still waiting for CNC Software to comment on most of the suggestions for enhancements that have been posted to the enchancements section of this forum.

quote:

The only advantage I can see is that it might eliminate some druggy but
I would then need to edit the heck out of everything it produces.

YOU have to do that with everything you program.

quote:

Our shop is so busy and I'm still coming up to speed on other aspects of Mastercam...

Lead in/out?

biggrin.gif

Thad