Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Mastercam Wireframe Display / Dell 2408 WFP

NeilJ

My new Dell 2408 WFP monitor showed up Monday. Since I'm spending so much time at work lately I brought it in and set it up here. Color and sharpness of the Dell 2408 WFP blow away my work monitor which is a HP LP2465 but I'm still not happy with the wireframe display. Depending on how I rotate my wireframe the lines are still very jagged. Is there a setting in Mastercam or elsewhere that I can change to improve my display of wireframe? I'm using an Nvidia Quadro FX1300 set to SolidWorks for Open GL.

Is it possible that I need a more expensive video card to give me the kind of clear / non-jagged wireframe display that I desire?

quote:

give me the kind of clear / non-jagged wireframe display that I desire?

are you running your resolution at 1900 x 1200??

I'm running a Quadro FX 3450 at 1900 x 1200

and have no issues with it.

I don't know if a better card would make a difference.. I doubt it..

That would be an expensive experiment..

You might try making sure your drivers are up to date but I'd be surprised if that helped..

The only monitor I've seen that better than this Dell Ultrasharp was my old Mitsubishi 22" CRT

tube monitor... but it weighed a ton, took up the whole desk and burned holes in my eyeballs

after a day at work biggrin.gif

but wireframe was razor sharp all the time..

I have twin 2408's at home and the colors are awesome and lines don't look jaged at all. So your running at 1900 X 1220. What line width are you set on? I use the smallest. I have chord height set to .0005 in the shading config page, edge tolerance .0002 on solids page. In the Nvidia control panel I set "Let app decide settings". Here we have only 2407's and 2405's and all of them look great. Below is a link to a screen capture that looks worse than seeing the monitor live.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/978cnc/2407a.jpg

quote:

What line width are you set on? I use the smallest. I have chord height set to .0005 in the shading config page, edge tolerance .0002 on solids page.

Changed all my settings to match what you wrote above and it made no difference.

It's a little hard to tell from your screen shot but it does appear to look better than mine. I don't see the jagged lines that I have.

I think what you want is anti-aliasing. You can turn that on in your display settings. I tried it for a bit but I didn't like it. What it does is essentially blur the pixels so the lines look smoother. I like being able to see the individual pixels though, it helps me spot overlapping entities and lines that are just a bit off from horizontal or vertical.

Here is wireframe from my 2408wfp. Screen capture looks worse than live. Hope you can see it OK.

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/978cnc/2408WFP.jpg

Your anti ailiasing settings may indeed be the problem but why don't you look at the monitor's settings too. 2408's have video, graphics, multimedia, even Mac presets. Perhaps your lack of progress is from pushing the wrong buttons. Take a look at yours and I'll see how close to mine you are.

[ 10-17-2008, 12:11 AM: Message edited by: bogusmill ]

Home sick today. Left the Dell monitor at work yesterday. Have 24" Samsung's at home. I can already tell the color and resolution is far better on the Dell 2408 WFP then on the 24" Samsung.

Can I get a zoomed screen shot of the left side of the part that is pictured above and uses the Quadro 3500? I think I see jagged lines. Maybe the thicker line size shows jaggedness more?

I don't see any jagged lines in bogusmill's screen shot which has thinner lines:

http://i115.photobucket.com/albums/n303/978cnc/2408WFP.jpg

You can't get rid of all jagedness just because of the nature of displays. 1920 lines(rows) of vertical pixels and 1200 rows of horizontal makes the angled lines and quadrants of arcs show jagedness. Antiailaising takes pixels next to lines or objects and makes the color something in between object color and background color so it's smoother to your eyes.

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

My new Dell 2408 WFP monitor showed up Monday.

I'm so happy with the Dell 2408 WFP that I purchased a second one last night. It's not even close quality wise to the HP's we have at work or the Samsung 245BW's I had at home.

Now I need to determine if I can get away with a gaming video card for Solid Edge with ST and SolidWorks like one can apparently do with Mastercam.

Saw Mastercam X3 at a Haas open house this week running on a gaming video card and the quality blows away the Quadro FX 1300 cards we are using at work.

Yes, but I'm very worried that I will have problems with Solid Edge with ST and SolidWorks with a gaming card.

I'm thinking about going the safe route with this card. I'm aware that it's expensive, it's a rip-off to the tune of $600, and that it's basically the same card as the 8800 GT.

http://hothardware.com/Articles/Nvidia-Qua...-512-MB/?page=3

"With these raw specifications on paper, the QuadroFX 3700 has a little less raw rendering horsepower compared to the GeForce 8800 GT lineup. However, while the 8800 GT looks stronger on the specification sheets, the QuadroFX 3700 has a few unique features, including stereoscopic output support, support for Quadro performance drivers, and ripping-fast OpenGL rendering support compared to the GeForce 8800 family."