Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X3 Feature Based Machining

grav400

I have used the FBD and found it to be "Awesome"....this had to be set up properly for hydraulic applications though with different types of configurations and takes time and investment...I discovered that you could force different applications..ie macros or cutting and drilling techinques with different holes and save them to the library and when you clicked on the find icon it would work without hitches....

If you are machining in one plane, ie top you can auto sort out the operations by tools or order of etc ...and a few other ways

When working with many planes ie horizontal...its easier to sort out what you want and post it out accordingly.

I wish I could comment on the FBM but I'm partial to the way things are cut and didnt get a chance to really make that side work frown.gif

So aren't we all really happy that the Mastercam folks spent all this time on FBM instead of trying to nail down the bugs? Really, Mastercam already is very efficient software and it would be even better without the bugs, and crashes. I am going to beat this horse to death until someone at Mastercam takes notice :-) Sorry for the rant.

If mastercam wants to stay competitive then they must also utilize there resources to develop FBM. Allot of software is using this concept. Sure it’s not for every circumstance. You have to put allot of effort into setting it up. But the benefits could greatly out way the initial setup. What we have to remember is how vast the customer base is for mastercam. I'm not saying that the bug issues shouldn’t be addressed. I just don’t think mastecam should be bashed for looking to the future of machining.

I agree that they need to look to the future but I also believe they greatly underestimate the importance of reliability to their customers. I would MUCH rather have the reliability than to have more new fangled features.

In directing resources to FBM instead of bugs they are trying to appeal to FUTURE customers and placing the needs of PAYING customers on the back burner. I have purchased Mastercam level 3 advanced multiaxis and I pay annual maintenance on it. Improved reliability is not a great attention getter for the marketing folks but it would be a hit with the programmers actually using the product.

I guess it makes me angry because I pay for all this out of my own pocket. I do the programming and machining and I directly see the impact and loss of productivity that the bugs create. I get to see firsthand my $$$ at work and when the latest release decreases my productivity I really see red!

I thought that was what I was getting with mastercam..........I cut parts all day everyday WITH MASTERCAM......Sure there are nagging issues, but they seem to always get cleaned up in the next update. The debate on balance between reliability and "new fangled features" is pretty vague from person to person. Of course reliability is a must, but I didn’t think it was too much of a problem. I've seen software issues with every cad system I ever used. This issue has been discussed in great length in other threads. I would have to say that most people using mastercam believe there getting the same……

I have taken a few major hits with this latest release. The 3D chamfer contour feature is no longer working (for me anyways) so I had to deburr a load of parts by hand last night. My lead-in lead-out no longer includes the linear move and since my cutter comp defaults are set at wear my machine gives errors a few times every day for trying to initiate cutter comp on an arc move. My setup sheet takes 5x longer to load with X3. These are all features that worked flawlessly in the past but not with X3.

Yes newchsmcam...there are issues with every cad/cam system out there.

I personally think that mastercam does a great job of balancing the fixes for bugs and addressing the needs to move forward all at the same time.

Some software like FeatureCam is great at doing FBM and mastercam is new at it. They will in time become better just like they will make all the fixes we want to see in do time.

One of the great things about MC is this forum where we can get advice from others who use the software. That along with the amazing support I have received from my reseller and I can't imagine using anything else.

I was disappointed the first time I used FBM and I still am but I know they will work on it and get it.

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

FBM is in place so 6year olds can program rolleyes.gif

The bean counters love to hear that stuff. If yo do parts that are prismatic and relatively simple, it will probably work ok for you, but if you do the kid of work I do, no way in H E Double Hockey Sticks will it work. I wish they would have put that time and respources into, oh, I don't know... maybe MILL TURN!!!!! curse.gif

Oh, sold seat #20 of Partmaker or Esprit for mill/turn. I think it's safe to say they have turned away good money to chase bs.gif pie in the sky, anybody can program, nonsense.

Just thought I'd pour some more salt in the wound.

Hey I was looking at the miyano ABX-51TH2 - Turning 5-10 Axis. I would guess that I should start looking at part maker?????? currently I've only programed a Haas sl20 with the live tools. Which is practically nothing when you look at this baby......Any heads up would be great to what I'm getting my self into......

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Part Maker or Esprit are your only real options unless you wanna pony up for UG.

quote:

My 2 cents, there allot more of us mill turn guys out here than the six year old machinists.

YUP! But they(CNC) has to appease the corporate bean counters that don't know $#!+ from shinola. Unfortunately since they sign the checks, they get razzle dazzle. 6 year old programmers does it for them I guess. rolleyes.gif