Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Tapping feedrate

Datty

Not knowing what machine you are using makes recommending feeds and speeds very difficult. If it were a Haas VF-2 VMC and straight thread tap I would go 260 RPM amd Feed 20 IPM, if it were a Big Mazak 50 HP HMC with a High Spiral Pulley Length Tap I would go at 2600 RPM and the feed would be the pitch or 200 IPM. Really depends on power of the machine, rigidity of your setup and type of tap. Preferably you want a High Spiral 3 Flute Tap that produces 3 long strings of chips. You can use regular straight flute taps since the holes are thru but if coolant doesn't force chips down and out it could pack the chips and break the tap. Good Luck and HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Forget IPM, feed IPR (0.0769) and adjust speed to the material. That way you'll NEVER have to pick up a calcualtor fo figure feed rate again.

You feed will ALWAYS be the pitch of the thread.

JM2C and HTH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

Threadmill it. Far better process.

+1

FOrgot the "Haas Quotient". You could VERY EASILY stall that Haas on a 1/2-13 tap. Threadmilling IS the very best way to handle threaded holes in most cases.

quote:

Wanna see a full pair of huggies?

Forget to put that G94 after G80

Forget Huggies, the guys I work around where Depends. They hate when I engage in serious HSM and lose bowel control when the spindle gets within a few thousands of the 4th Axis. Guess they never worked on a Lathe or Mill/Turn biggrin.gif

I prefer Thread Milling over Tapping anything. Thread Mills that break in the bore (never seen that before) are pretty easy to remove. Taps that break have to be removed using crafty methods. One off hand EDM HeatSink.

Has anyone here seen or heard of thread milling 0-80's ??