Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Changing origin after toolpaths are created

I'm assuming all your toolpaths are in TOP WCS

and TOP tool plane

1. Make a point where you want the new orign

be sure the Z value is correct..

Open the View Manager and make a copy of Top

and select yout new origin point.

then selact all you operations, right clcik and

use the "edit common parameter" to change

the WCS to the new WCS you created.

all your OPS will go dirty.. regen and you're done

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

I try to use incremental as much as possible so all the ops will update fine in Z depth.

+1,000,000 to that. I ALWAYS use incremental unless I absolutely positively cannot get away from it (which is fairly rare) for EXACTLY this reason.

Your Z depths should be fine incremental or absolute.

If the point your define your new WCS with has the

proper Z value.. all Z depths in your toolpaths

will still be correct..

That point is the new 0,0,0 and your toolpaths are defined from there.

Instead of copying Top, you can just go into the View Manager, click on the "Enable origin" button, then use the "select arrow" to go pick the new point.

That way you do not have to re-select a new WCS for your toolpath operations. They just update. Since you are not moving the Z origin height, your toolpaths will work as-is...

Edit: ok, I just realized that if you do choose to move the origin for the System Top view, it can give you problems with stock location in Verify. So do what the other guys recommended, otherwise you get unintended consequences...

Thanks,

quote:

why not let the operator move the origin on the machine to suit your program by the same amount you wanted it moved.

Oh no you didn't just say that! biggrin.gif

Many operators are still struggling with concepts like walking upright, and using indoor plumbing. tongue.gifwink.gif

That, my friend, is a recipe for a crashed machine and / or a scrap part if I've ever seen one. eek.gif

j/k biggrin.gif

Seroiusly though, IMO the responsibility should rest on the programmer to make it as simple as possible for the operator. wink.gif

quote:

Oh no you didn't just say that!

Jim

You don't tell your guys to set the origin 0.050" below the stock, or to the top of the fixture then add 0.250" for 1/4" plate-work

or

are you saying you've never done what I suggested

Boy, you don't give your operators any credit either ( I'd hate to be one of your guys, and read that post )

quote:

Jim

You don't tell your guys to set the origin 0.050" below the stock, or to the top of the fixture then add 0.250" for 1/4" plate-work

or

are you saying you've never done what I suggested

On most scrapped parts/machine crashes I hear the words "I assumed". I do everything in my power to take those words out of their excuses.