Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

EdgeCam??

Reverend Turk

I have been looking at another job as some of you know. Well, there is one medical company that is looking for CNC mill programmers and they are wiling to train the right person who has experience on another CAM system.

My question is this, anyone ever used EdgeCam and if so, how would you compare it to Mastercam?

Don't worry so much about comparing software to MC.

I used the earliest version of Smartcam (of all crap)to do quite

complex molds, like tork converters etc. That by

todays software standards is unbelievable but it

got the 3-d stuff done regardless. (with next to no training)

Just bury yourself in what ever software your new

venture throws at you and you will see 1st the

similarities then the rest just falls in place.

Good luck Man

Rick

Run!!!!!

dont hide.....RUN!!!!!!!!

Ok sorry ...my therapist says I will get over it eventually with a few more sessions...

I have Edgecam on my puter here to remind me that you get nothing for free.... frown.gif

There are 2 ppl here in Canada that act as support for this scammed up software and they are about 800 miles away and you get to play phone tag with them ...if they decide to answer the phone and check their msgs.....Solid works has dropped them all together due to lack of support and techies and salesmen that took their money and ran after they promised the world and didnt produce.

I got official training on this software and it was a joke....My teacher just kept asking me questions ....ie "Why wont this high speed steel endmill take a full cut....Its high speed isnt it?"

I had many conversations with the president of Javelin Technologies here in Canada over this "cam software" that was supposed to provide us a multi axis post that would work...and capable of doing anything....Well it turned out we got burned...but they did give us our money back....8 months later

If you are just working in a vertical or horizontal machine with this software then yeah it should work...the learning curve isnt near what you would have for NX(Unigraghics) or Pro Eng....but if you are working with multi axis...run away as fast as you can....you will have no support in this matter and you will have a greater learning curve then you would like....be prepared to write your own post with the post creator that doesnt work in 5 axis.

I appologize for the rant but this is the reality we went through for this software and I wouldnt wish it on anybody in here....well ok ....Maybe Rek'd....He needs things to rant about every so often wink.gif

edgecam support SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

its ok for basic stuff thats it

the turning side is ok

but the milling side will make you pull your hair out we still run edgecam here for turning but after getting bad code for the mills i got them to switched to mastercam its feature based BS you have to create the features (surfs) when you chain it thinks it knows what way you want to go but its always wrong if you change something on the model and have to regen it will cut on the wrong side plus no high speed toolpaths

my blood pressure is starting to climb i cant talk about edgecam anymore

best of luck

Turk44.. maybe that EdgeCam shop is looking

for a new guy cause EdgeCam sux so bad thier

programmers keep quitting... You've got a pretty

good gig in some pretty bad times..I'd think

real hard about switching jobs right now..

especially switching to an EdgeCam shop.

If someone wanted to train me in Catia or NX6

that would be a different story...but

changing jobs to learn a 3rd string software

like EdgeCam??? I wouldn't do it.