Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Add control points on a spline in X3?

Daniel M

In V9 you could add node points dynamically along a spline.

Looks like X3 add Node Point just sticks the node points on the spline.

I need to stick a couple node points in a certain place along the spline so that I can tweek it at those points and retain the confority of the splin thru the other points.

In V9 it was thru the edit dialog IIRC.

Lemme clearify...

I need to ADD a node (control) point dynamically along the spline (like I used to do a lot in V9.

I don't want to move any existing node points ie. they need to stay put to keep that area of the spline in place.

In V9 I go: Edit,spline, pick the spline, add node point, dynamic. Then I'd just stick as many points as I needed WHEREVER I needed them.

I gettin scared here.... I'm expecting my final suggestion is going to be 1)X3 can't do it. 2)Go back to V9. 3)Contact your reseller.

Heeeeelp...

quote:

In V9 I go: Edit,spline, pick the spline, add node point, dynamic. Then I'd just stick as many points as I needed WHEREVER I needed them.

If you were doing it it was a different path because the ONLY "edit" I can find in the V9 menu is under File and that is to edit files, there is no spline option/node points option.

we are trying to help Daniel, (and we are feelthy resellers smile.gif )

again it depends in the type of spline -

parametric or nurbs....

and what john is saying is true - it wasn't literally an edit in V9; had to be a modify or secondary create function...looks thru the screens you're using and list the steps exactly as they're named hth

so let's figure out if there IS a way to do what you want, eh?

one of my all time favorite quotes (attributed to Einstein)

"The problems that exist in the world today cannot be solved by the level of thinking that created them"

so who wansta get high ?

er, think higher I mean...

Playing around to see if this can be done, found something interesting.

1. Create any random manual spline

2. Settings Conifguration and change your spline/surface creation type from NURBS to Parametric

3. Create - Spline - Curve Spline, select the spline and give it a tight tolerance .i.e. 0.0001 for imperial units

4. Go back to Settings - Configuaration and change your spline/surface creation type back to NURBS

5. Repeat step 3.

6. Select F4 and select Edit control points and you will have more control points.

[ 05-21-2009, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Snehal Shah ]

Again, use Rhino3D for that. Add control points, rebuild the spline, edit weight of control points, remove control points, move 1 or many control points at a time etc.

Rhino3D = great compliment to MC

HTH

[ 05-21-2009, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: BernieT ]

rmnodes.dll will create a new spline based on a tolerance which can add control points. but it is not adda control point right here function. What I do is create points segment, then create a spline automatic based on those points. It may take a couple of tries but you can usually get something that has what you need with a manageable amount of node points, unlike what you may get when using the rmnodes.dll.

regards,