Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

X4 File Open - All levels displayed

Greg Williams

Hi All,

I must have some setting wrong but for the life of me I cannot find it.

If I open a X2 or X3 file in X4 the file opens with all of the levels visable (Turned On). Even if the file was previously saved with only 1 level turned on? Has anyone seen this?

The biggest problem here is that the file open takes a long long time as all the levels need to be rendered.

It is driving me insane

Greg,

Sorry for the inconvenience. This problem was found too late to get the fix into X4 but it has been fixed in the maintenance release we are working on now (X4 MU1).

Unfortunately the only work around is to open the file, set the levels you want (you should check other settings too because this affected more than just levels), and then save the file in X4. Of course if you still need to use the file in the previous version and make changes there this is not an optimal work around.

Would it be possible to get a copy of one or more of the files that you are having problems with to make sure our fix covers the cases you are seeing?

Thanks,

Joe

Joe,

I will email you the files. Unfortunatly your work around does not seem to solve the issue. Even after saving as an X4 the files still open up with all of the levels on.

The only files that work correctly are native x4 files

Just out of interest

quote:

you should check other settings too because this affected more than just levels

Which other settings are affected? I am getting nervous about this one

[ 06-20-2009, 05:00 AM: Message edited by: Greg Williams ]

Greg,

Thanks for the files, but what you sent to me had already been saved in X4. I did not have any problems with changing visibility of levels, saving the files, and having them come back in with the saved visibility in either X4 or X4 MU1.

If you have the pre-X4 version of these files I would be more than happy to look at them.

>> Which other settings are affected? I am getting nervous about this one <<

Here is a little explanation fo the problem. I hope it is not too techie. smile.gif

The problem is related to view sheets. There is always a base view sheet saved in the file even if you are not using view sheets. In X4 we added additional values that are saved with the view sheets and made some additional changes for how they get initialaized, which ended up causing these problems with files that were saved without the additional settings.

View sheets in X4 save / restore all of the settings on the Status Bar. Depending on what pre-X4 version the file was saved in, any of these settings could be affected.

Regards,

Joe

Your last post was the answer for me. If I open a file from x3 it has all levels on. If I changed to only the levels I wanted to see and saved it as X4 it still reopened with all levels showing. If I open X3 file and set levels to what I want and save viewsheet bookmark as X4 file, then when I reopen it comes in as I wanted it to look. Also if I turn viewsheets off it will come in as I want. If I turn vewsheets back on then I see all levels. The answer is to open the file. Fix the levels. Save the viewsheet bookmark. Save as X4.

Thanks for the info. Hope this will help you Greg

All,

Thanks to some help from Greg and a couple files that he sent to me to look at, we were able to figure out the problem. It appears that there was a bug prior to X4 that was causing a "default" bookmark to be saved in the file for the Main Sheet. In X4 there was a new viewsheets options page added to Config (which everyone on this thread seems to know about now). On this page "Automatically restore bookmark settings" defaults to enabled which is causing the bogus Main Sheet bookmark to be used.

The workaround is to disable viewsheets, disable "Automatically restore bookmark settings", or after opening the file set the levels you want on the Main Sheet, save a bookmark, and save the file.

Note that this is going to be a problem with pre-X4 files even after X4 because there is no way to know if the bookmark is valid or the one created by the bug that was fixed in X4. Files that are saved in X4 will not have this problem in future releases.

Sorry for the inconveience.