Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Cutter comp

Thad

Are there any advantages or disadvantages to using a line tangent and rad for my lead in/out over perp line only (no rad) for my lead in/out when using cutter comp?

I've mentioned before how I'm struggling with how the control interprets cutter comp and I want to exhaust all my resources before I tell the machine operators that they have to change the way they use the radius in the offset page. My next step is to use wear comp. After all, they've been doing it like this for years. Right now, I have NO confidence in my cutter comp programs. Typically, cutter comp is used on critical areas, which makes me even more nervous about the whole thing.

I've been using line tangent and a rad, but now I'm trying line only perp. Any comments?

Thad

I suppose it realy depends on the machines control. Some controls look ahead for cutter comp and institute the offset before plunge. Protrack MX2 is a good example of this. Some controls require a line for cutter comp. ie cannot start cutter comp with arc. Some controls offset the tool after the first-move, some with the first-move.

It has been my experience that Mastercam is better by far in dealing with cutter comp. Therefore, I always leave comp on in the computer. Wear comp is done a little different on different machines. On some machines, I have the ability to enter a negitive tool dia. I like that. Other machines I need to program a smaller tool dia, (eg. .24 instead of .25) Then I put .010 dia in the control.

Hope this helps

quote:

If the chain is closed, you'll end up not cutting the whole contour.

I've had problems with the tool violating the part, but never not completely cutting the assigned chain. Can you explain further?

Thad

You can enter on a perpendicular line and you will cut the entire part if you turn on the overlap parameter in the lead in/ lead out page. I think this should be set up as a default, since it is always handy to overlap the starting point with the exit point.

Peter Eigler

quote:

You can enter on a perpendicular line and you will cut the entire part if you turn on the overlap parameter in the lead in/ lead out page.

I always use the overlap...but why would it not cut the entire chain without it. Wouldn't the exact start point be the exact end point, thus cutting the whole chain?

Thad

When I pgm. with mastercam, I like to use the Cutter comp.in the computer and in the control. The advantage to this is:

-it is one less thing you have to do when setting up.

-also you can work in smaller areas without having to allow for the 1/2 tool dia. lead in. It can be much smaller.(May be different form one control to another?)

Pgm.ing with arc's I find makes much better looking parts. It makes the witness marks much less visible(SP?).

Hope this helps. smile.gif

There is a bug in Version 9 when using perpendicular exit lines only, when programming using in control compensation. It will turn cutter comp off heading to the last end point, rather than in a perpendicular move from the last end point of chain. It doesn't do it every time, but every once in a while. Which is more dangerous than every time!! So use caution if you choose to program that way.

I usually use wear offset on 2-d contours and set dia. ofsset in control to compensate for cutters being undersized. on 3-d surfaces i program exact cutter size because it doesnt read the dia. offset in control it nice when you have a lazer on machine to find exact cutter size he ehe biggrin.gif only time i use per. lead in is if there's a space issue so the cutter comes to the arc per. instead of tan. comp takes effect on first straightline move. cheers.gif