Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Funny Solid

Chris Rizzo

I've got a solid from sw09 that I suspect was created with some non-traditional modeling methods. The curves just don't seem right. Analyze > check solid and it's good. Convert to surfaces the UV lines take on a life of their own and indeed their are a bunch of bad surfs. With the surface uv's you can see how it was created and gets twisted up. I've seen this before but just worked around it.

I'm curious as to how a solid body can be "good", but go so terribly wrong when going to surfaces? Seems if it can't go back and forth something has to be wrong with it.

sometimes, I will make a parasolid ... take it into SolidWork with repair turned on ... let it repair itself ... save file either as SW or parasolid ... then back to Mastercam ... if I still get "holes" I either do those faces individually, or find a mirror image of a good surface ...

last resort ... make a new patch surfaces ...

HTH biggrin.gif

I have this problem from time to time, try it in another format, i use IGES sometimes if i have to.

Sometimes if the surfaces come out funny, Ill make some edge geometry and patch it up, but it depends on how good you are at surface modelling. Its quite a PITA sometimes, and some people are better at it than others.