Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Version 9 Crashing after X3 Install

Mick

Hi there,

Yesterday, I did a Version 9.1 MR0105 install, followed by a X3 MU1 install. V9.1 ran fine once it was installed, but after the X3 MU1 install, whenever I tried to start V9.1, it would start, then crash.

I reinstalled the hasp drivers, and both X3 MU1 and V9.1 seemed to run ok. However, once I had V9.1 open, I tried to use File -> Get. As soon as I did that, it crashed. Then, when I tried to run V9.1 again, it crashed while trying to run.

Through all of this, X3 MU1 works fine. Whilst the easy option is to get the customer onto X3 MU1 (X4 MU1 when it is released smile.gif ), they still want to have V9.1 to provide some backwards compatibility, and also to maintain productivity whilst learning the new version.

The machine is a Intel processor, and it is running XP SP2, and is using an Nividia Quadro graphics card.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

I have a similar problem on my laptop at work. V9 will open but locks/freezes as soon as I try to do anything with it. No alarms. The problem started when loaded X3 or maybe MU1. V9.1 ran fine with X2/MR2.

I also have V9.1 (MR0105), X3MU1, and X4 on the desktop computer in the class room, and all three versions work fine. I haven't been able to nail down what is causing the problem on the laptop. (Running standard XP_Pro/SP3 on both computers)

I had the same problem moving to X Mr1. X and V9 weren't playing well together. I ended up keeping the two versions on different computers while I made the transition to X.

My advice: Jump right in to X and get your feet wet. It's well worth the effort. There are plenty of tutorials to make the transition easier. I found that going back to V9 was only keeping me from learning X.

quote:

Uninstall then reinstall V9

G, I have tried that many times. I have tried at least 2 other possible tech fixes from the boys at CNC tech with no luck on this laptop. These tech tips seem to work on some PC's, but not others.

Guru,HM, As dealers we still need to support our V9 customers which is why I would like to get it working on my laptop again. PITA running from my desk to the class room to do tech support.

quote:

I have tried at least 2 other possible tech fixes from the boys at CNC tech with no luck on this laptop. These tech tips seem to work on some PC's, but not others

man I'm glad we're not having this trouble with our Dell workstations. The only thing I use V9 for is to open V7 files.. some some guys here move between V9 and X4 a dozen times a day

Scott you have removed all the MC cleaning the registry and then gone back installing X3 then following with V9. The only one that has given me an issue was Vista and V9.

But is funny how some computers will act different.

On the the box I am writing on I have V9,X,X2,X2mr1,x2mr2,x3mu1,X4mu1 and to top off MC for SW. I need to clean house I think. BUT all work.

Then can go to another one of my box's and not all will play nice.Some times its the hardware.

Scot What is the laptop?

Jay, I have tried unistalling all versions of mcam. Deleted left over folders. Deleted specific files in the windowssystem 32 folder (one of the tech tips). Deleted CNC software folder from the registry. Tried installing X3 first, then V9.1. I have also repeated the above process trying V9.1 first and then X3. I have tried the tech tip with the applet in the control panel, tried the driver thing too. The laptop is a Dell Latitude D820 Core-2 T7400 2.16 GHz, 2Gb ram, with a low end Nvidia NVS120M video card, but it gets the job done (eventually).

As another test, I just loaded V9.1 on my home computer that already had X4 on it and V9.1 is working just fine. Didn't have to use any of the tricks. I haven't tried V9.1 on the laptop since loading X4. Maybe I will try it again since we have a long weekend.

Scott are you using updated Video drivers? I wonder if you go back a a year or so for drivers.I have seen were drivers have caused issues as I see this maybe a factor. I know I have made MC9 run on allot and I mean allot worst of a system, that is not bad.

As this is a stand alone card and not a shared video if I remember right.

Thus afternoon I get to paly computer time as I am pulling mu other box in as finally going to update the OS to Windows 7 RC finally and start installing MC and playing.

Welcome to are 3 day weekend.

Mick, sorry for the hi-jack. I thought our problems might be related.

Well, I loaded it again on the laptop and the problem looks and "feels" like a video driver issue. White cursor cross hairs flicker in the graphics area. Cross hairs don't swith to arrow pointer when hovering over menu items. Have to click menu items twice to get them to work, and then they are slow. Draw an arc and it does't show on screen, but screen statistics says there is one arc. The F9 doesn't show the brown cross hairs. The escape key doesn't work at all. Disabled open GL in screen configure, but same problems. Tried to install newest video driver from Nvidia, but it says not compatable with OEM hardware, use Dell drivers.

Downloaded current driver from Dell, but it installed as the same version I already had. Dell website is dated 12/7/2007, but it loads as 11/16/2007 6.14.11.5683

Are there any other settings within V9 for video? Been so long I only remember disabling open GL.

smile.gif Well it was video related. I got V9.1 working again. I clicked on the Nvidia tray icon, going to "performance and Quality Settings" and clicking on "Restore Driver Defaults". Apparently some of the settings got changed somewhere along the line. I assumed re-installing the drivers would automatically go to default settings but apparently not. banghead.gif

Mick, idea.gif for your file get problem, it wasn't the applet in the control panel I was thinking of. It was the CNC RegEdit utility from the mastercam V9.1 folder via windows start button/all programs. There is a setting in there for "file get". I used this to solve a customers pc crashing when clicking on "file Get".

Holy !@#$$. Turn my back for a day, and 14 replies! smile.gif

Scott, dont worry about the thread hijack, as it is all helpful. I'll get out to the customers tomorrow and try the applet option. I'll also try tweaking the Video driver settings (I should have tried that while I was there smile.gif )

Thanks everyone for replying. By the way, anyone going to the resellers conference? I may be there, all the way from New Zealand (well, I'll be at the workshops at the end of it all...)