Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis drilling

sharles

I've used the multi axis drilling program for years and have never had a problem using arcs for the entity type and surfaces for the tool axis control. But tonight the tool instead of coming in perpendicular to the surface is coming in parallel to the surface. I've looked for some kind of parameter that may have gotten screwed up but can't find any.

Any ideas?

No Jay I am talking about the new free tools with the Verisurf Add-on. These 3 new point tools are very cool. You access them from the top of the screen:

VerisurfPoints.png

Then each one does a specific function.

The grid it is just like it sounds it will make a grid of points and vectors based of surface U and V or you can use an X and Y value. If you use the X and Y value then it comes from the active C-plane. If you use the U and V method then it is not C-plane dependent. Also only use Cad for the points the other is for use in the Verisurf Software only.

The dynamic surface point will allow you to create a point dynamically on a surface or a solid without having to pick the individual faces like Mastercam does. You also have the ability to make a vector if you like. Again only use the Cad the other ways are for Verisurf Software only.

The last is the curve to Points/Vectors and this one has a ton of options. You can decide to use a chord height, max distance or max number of points along the chain. You can decide to use Vectors. You can decide of the Vector direction to be normal, side or along. You also have the ability to offset it from the surface, end or end the extension. Again as in the other two only use CAD the points and Scan are for the Verisurf Software only.

Any questions or comments just email me or post them up and be glad to help out.

• 1 month later...

I just thought I'd do a quick update. Mastercam must have finally fixed the axis limit section in the multiaxis drilling. In the past I have always had to set the limits for my B axis to 180 and 120 to keep the tool in between 0 and 60. I'm guessing the 180 and 120 had something to do with mastercam homes. One day, I turned off my axis limit parameter and voila, my multisurface drill program works like it always did.

What I want to know is since I haven't switched from X2MR2 and I have used this program repeatedly over the last year, how can the function of the parameter SUDDENLY change???!!! When I downloaded X4 (which I have) onto my computer, is it somehow affecting my previous versions? This isn't the first time that I've noticed that downloading a new version, affects prior versions that used to work fine.

Thanks for all the comments.

• 4 months later...

Hey Ron,

Does Verisurf's Mastercam add-on provide a way to put points on a surface in specific locations?

Our inspection guy gave me a project to do this for him. It's a propeller with three blades. On the drawing, each blade has twelve control points, top and bottom of each blade, to inspect at called-out locations.

I already got the numbers by drawing the points and projecting them onto the surfaces but there were several steps involved to do that.

Does the Verisurf provide an easier/faster way to do this?

Yes very easy. We have a surface point dynamic back to CAD this allows you to pick specific CAD points back to a model then have the specific surface normal then be the control for the results of the measurement.

Case study from one of our customers. They are doing an intake for the JSF project. They have a part with not flat surfaces. They were having to cut the part then take to the CMM to see the results of that cut. Try to set it back up the same way take another cut then repeat the process until they felt like they got the part cut right on the 1st side. This could happen 6 times. Everything inspection on that CMM got halted and the machine had to sit and wait while they got it worked out. The only thing the customer had were Datum target points. Using our Dynamic surface point tool they pick the required points and now you can inspect to them report them and can met the customer's requirements.

Let me know if you would someone to give you some information about Verisurf.