Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

how to open file by double clicking on Icon

bbtom

The MC seller sent us a copy of X4 2 weeks ago.

The software guy at work just got around to installing it today.

Our service agreement ran out the end of Sept. so X4 will not load.

We tried to uninstall X4 but now when you double click a file it tries to open X4 instead of X3.

Does anyone know how to fix this???

Thank you

to fixx the problem as you described you need to re-associate the file extensions with X3.

Open a Windows explorer window, and click on Tools at the top. Then select Folder Options. Next click the File Types tab.

Scroll down in the window to find the MCX extension, highlight it, and then click the change button. Then just re-direct it to the proper X3 folder and the X3 executable file.

there are Service Packs and Maintenance upgrades..

Service Paks are bug fixes, they are free and

have the same drop dead date as the main release.

Maintenance upgrades are just that..

Upgrades that require a current maintenance contract.

There is a new MU coming out shortly.

I don't know when the drop dead date will be,

but they normally round back to the end of the previous month..

ie.. they release in July .. the drop dead date

is June 31

So technically speaking, if a bug is found in the version I am currently running, should I class this as a defective product that is not up the the standard as advertised

Am I not entitled to a refund by law, or a patch for the duration I possess and use this version of software ?

It is still my choice as to when I wish to upgrade to an "improved" version, and until then, any and all patches should always be available, with no "drop dead date".

What happens if a HD failure with an older version of Mcam happens ? - no maint. but the copy is legal

quote:

Actually there are no more "Service Packs", with the release of X3, they became "Maintenance Updates"

If a patch ( bug fix ) for a known fault is not available, should I not be entitled to a replacement of the software with a version that is not defective, by law ?

They recall cars and ground planes that have known "bugs", do they not ??

quote:

to fixx the problem as you described you need to re-associate the file extensions with X3.

Open a Windows explorer window, and click on Tools at the top. Then select Folder Options. Next click the File Types tab.

Scroll down in the window to find the MCX extension, highlight it, and then click the change button. Then just re-direct it to the proper X3 folder and the X3 executable file.

I tried this but I could not find the file in the Programs file folder.

Can you be more specific as to what the file I am looking for is called?

quote:

quote: You can hold shift and right mouse click on a mcx file and then chose "Open with" and browse to find x3 exe and then check the box that says "Always use this program to open these file types"

Have you tried this?

Yes. I tried both ways and they both take me to the same folder called PROGRAM FILES.

I just was not sure what file to pick in that folder.

Still no luck with this. please look at the pics I took of the screen and see if it looks correct.

The first pic is what the shortcut tries to open. When you double click the icon X3 which is my file I want to open it tries to open with crash reporter.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/up...MG_2316done.jpg

When I click on the change button it gives me the second pic. If I click on X3 or X2 it tries to open my file in a window that wants me to go to Microsoft to find a proper program to open this type of file.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/up...MG_2317done.jpg

After I click "browse" and go to program files and up 1 folder I come to the last pic. I click just above mastercamlauncher on the X3 mastercam and it just gives me the crash reporter.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh10/up...MG_2318done.jpg

Can anyone make any sense of this?

I can open X3 from the desktop shortcut and than click open and pick my file from "my documents" but I would rather just open the file I want by double clicking it.

Going by the middle JPEG, you have lost icons to McamX2 and X3, more than likely the associations have been corrupted

To get rid of the association to "Crash Reporter"

-open My Computor

>> Tools >> Folder Options >> File Types

after it reads in file extensions, L-click in the window and type "n", search up for MCX, L-click on that line, then Delete --( yes, to confirm the association deletion )

Double click on a .MCX drawing and browse for the correct mastercam.exe file in the correct McamX or X3 folder eg C:/McamX ---this sets to which version it is to open, it is important that you select the correct one

and if this don't work

You may have to repair your install for McamX2 and X3, in that order