Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Is there a core style roughing path that does this?

neurosis

Ive been wondering if there is a core style roughing tool path that will start roughing at the deepest depth allowable, and then start to step up rather than down an allowed amount?

To try to explain a little better, I am trying to rough a part that has a dome on it. I can take the full depth of cut easily on this part but in order to rough it to prepare for finishing, it requires some steps. I would like a path that starts on the outside and moves in toward the center, but as it move inward toward the center of the part, steps up and in to the next level.

So far the only solution that I have come up with, is to use core roughing with a full depth of cut, and then add rest roughing paths which again, want to step down rather than moving in and stepping up.

Josh,

I have Volumill 3D and it does this beautifully!, but it has a few issues inside of X4 I am finding. I may end up having to revert back to X2 MR2 for this particular part.

Eric,

I was just hoping that there was something inside of the High Speed tool paths that I am missing. It seems that this should be a common strategy for removing material. Deepest cut possible and then walk up the walls so that you dont have to cut over the same areas again and again to remove material.

If there is nothing inside of the High Speed paths that allow this type of roughing, and I decide to stick with X4, I may have to try your suggestions.

Eric,

The part is more complicated than I am making it sound. I just wanted an easy way to get my point across. The part actually has multiple Islands that are domed and / or taper walled along with some ramped webs. It also has a strange profile to it so the material overlaps the part quite a bit in some areas. There are also tie downs and clamps that I have to avoid.

I wanted the high speed path to be able to create very fast tool path that would keep some load off of the cutter while remove material from between some of the islands while still maintaining the full depth of cut.

Again, it seems like it should be a common strategy for material removal. "ESPECIALLY" when using a high speed machining strategy.

Volumill gives you the option to attack the part either way. You can either rough down in steps while avoiding the islands, or you can start at full depth and rough inward and up. In this case the up and in approach makes more sense. I am just trying to stick with X4 as much as possible so I can get used to the new menu's and Volumill is a little buggy in X4 at the moment.