Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

yipee!!! v9 and solids. lots more to learn

Philcott

Hi all,

Boy! Talk about "when it rains it pours". We have been talking to management about upgrading from v8 to v9 for a while and yesterday we got the news that not only are we getting v9 but bumping from mill2 to mill3 and solids as well. I am not sure which gremlin is more appropriate cheers.gif or confused.gif . I guess a bit of both.

I was wondering what prefered path of enlightment you fellow forum users would take if learning the next level of the software all over again. Keep in mind a two week course in sunny California cool.gif is probably not going to get the go ahead from the boss.

When learning v7 and v8 we used the manuals that came with the software but found them lacking in teaching much more than how to draw circles and lines (simplified). We did have a copy of Lin and Shiue's Mastercam v7 book and still refer back to it on many occasions.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts.

Phil

Islander Reels

Actually, it really is nothing from v8 upgrade to V9. You will just get some WOWs. Some new features, you did dream about while using V8, have added on V9. It will take about 1.5 days from "V8 pro" become a "V9 pro".

However and BUT, with big "B", it will take you guys a lot of time and money from MILL2 upgrade to MILL3 and from surface to solid. Be prepared.

Oh, do not forget ask your reseller to revise your post processor if you want 4th axis.

Congratulation and good luck!

cheers.gif

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

Well the true path to enlightenment is Seat Time, Seat Time, Seat Time! Oh, one more thing, Seat Time. Just like in racing "There, no substitute for Cubic Inches", "There's no substitute for Seat Time". All the training in the world will not help you if you don't use what you learn.

Did I mention Seat Time? biggrin.gif

Go through some of the tutorials in the Solids Book when you get it. You will learn the basics there. When you encounter problems, you may want to reverse your Order Of Operations. Keep trying things differnt ways and eventuall you'll find which way is fastest and easiest for each particular application.

JM2C

Thanks for the words of wisdom.

As it was in the begining for us with our first mastercam experiences we know it will take time. James has it right in regards to "seat time". I have enjoyed spending time learning how to use the software in the past and look on this as an opportunity to increase my knowledge base.

I will endeavor to persevere. (Chief Dan George in little big man)

A great weekend to you all,

Phil