Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Machine Glass

BrandonH

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

You need to use LEXAN, NOT Plexi-glass.

Plexiglass is crap! It's dangerous, brittle when exposed to coolant, not resistant to projectiles, etc... There's a REASON MTB's use it and not polycarbonate.

JM2C

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

quote:

The only reason MTB's use it is because it looks cool.

cuckoo.gif

OBVIOUSLY you've never been saved by that "cool looking" lexan. I have, and it worth every extra penny. I just may not be here if it were not for Lexan. (I hope my wife does not see this).

Guest CNC Apps Guy 1

My bad Leigh... shoulda said Machine Tool Builders... biggrin.gifcheers.gif

Lexan has certain properties that make it desirable for use in environments where there is a possibility/probablility where projectiles will be involved. It is resistant to many chemicals found in a machining envoronment, etc...

It's not a poe-tay-toe/poe-tah-toe difference.

quote:

OBVIOUSLY you've never been saved by that "cool looking" lexan. I have, and it worth every extra penny. I just may not be here if it were not for Lexan. (I hope my wife does not see this).

+1000

I was standing right next to a guy who went into MDI to turn on the spindle after running a high speed toolpath...12" face mill @ 15000 RPM! eek.gif Trust me you want LEXAN!

Guys , Guys, Guys .......

BenK,

You are absolutely correct !!!!

LEXAN is just a name brand of Polycarbonate

Lexan is the GE Brand name Now Sabic I believe.

From their site

http://www.sabic-ip.com/gepapp/Plastics/se...h#searchresults

Lexan* Resin

Lexan Tough

Lexan Polycarbonate (PC) and PC-based Resins offer impact resistance, outstanding dimensional stability and crystal clarity. Lexan Resin is an amorphous engineering thermoplastic with high mechanical, optical, electrical and thermal properties. It is available with a wide variety of additives, including UV stabilizers and mold release agents. Grades include FDA-compliant, flame retardant, high flow, and glass reinforced.

there is also Markolon made by Bayer

and several others, They all have various types you just have to choose the one that has the highest impact resistance and chemical resistance.

Trust me I have 24+ years exp. in thermoplastics.

If you really want to be safe get some balistic polycarbonate.

[ 11-23-2009, 07:34 AM: Message edited by: ERIC14779 ]

I've replaces machine windows with hardware-store polycarbonate (Lexan brand) and they've cracked around the edges. I'm wondering if that's due to chemical susceptibility, because I remember a caution about polycarbonate paintball masks being sensitive to certain cleaners that would weaken them.