Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

milling cylinder.

cormigu

For concentricity I have had to slow the feed rate way down to allow the stepping motors to keep up. I also neck the cutter(grind the cutter back) so only a small cuting land (.15-.25")is in contact with to material to reduce load. There's always the old fashion way of using a boring head and cutting from the outside to the inside(turn the bit to the inside) center and feed down.

Sc

Cormigu,

I think what Mayday said was good advice. It looks like a simple contour you can take in one rough pass and one finish pass with a ball EM, or a bull EM with the proper radius. Most CNC Mills can hold the tolerance you stated.

The one thing that I would add is, for example, if you are running a Haas, there is a parameter for "MAX CORNER ROUNDING" that is used to set the corner rounding accuracy. I believe it is parameter number 85. If it is set too high, you'll never hold that tolerance.

The reason some machinist's set this value higher, is that when roughing at higher feed rates, it smooths the tool path so that there are no complete stops when the machine changes directions. That is, the machine tool "rounds" the corners by the amount set in this parameter.

I set it at .005-.010" when roughing and .001-.002" when finishing surfaced parts, but when you need accuracy as in your case, you need to set it to .0001"

If you use a different machine tool, there may be a similar option.

MasterCam X4 MU1

Mill Level 3/Solids

Dell Precision T3400

Intel Core Duo CPU 2.33 GHz

2.33GHz,2.00 GB RAM

Windows XP Pro SP3

NVIDIA Quadro FX 570

That is a setting #85 and you can also adjust setting #191 to finish this can also be programmed with a G187 P3 E.010,

G187 Setting the Smoothness Level (Group 00)

G-187 is an accuracy command that can set and control both the smoothness and max corner rounding

value when cutting a part. The format for using G187 is G187 Pn Ennnn.

P Controls the smoothness level, P1(rough), P2(medium), or P3(finish).

E Sets the max corner rounding value, temporarily overriding Setting 85 “Max Corner Rounding”.

Setting 191 sets the default smoothness to the user specified “rough,” “medium,” or “finish” when G187 is not active. The “medium” setting is the factory default setting. NOTE: Changing setting 191 to “Finish” will take longer to machine a part. Use this setting only when needed for the best finish.

G187 Pm Ennnn sets both the smoothness and max corner rounding value. G187 Pm sets the smoothness but leaves max corner rounding value at its current value. G187 Ennnn sets the max corner rounding but leaves smoothness at its current value. G187 by itself cancels the E value and sets smoothness to the default smoothness specified by Setting 191. G187 will be cancelled whenever “Reset” is pressed, M30 or M02 is executed, the end of program is reached, or E-stop is pressed.

If you can't get your haas to cut round, you could "turn" it with a boring head and blend the radius at the bottom with a ballnose. You should be able to repeat a thou and a half, but try it a few times first.

EDIT: Oops, I guess you know that trick. Maybe I'll start reading before replying. biggrin.gif