Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

3/4 npt tapping

Rocketmachinist

I have to tap a 3/4 npt in stainless. I recently bought a floating tapping holder and was wondering about a few things. When I tap, if I want to tap deeper I adjust my Z depth in my program not my offsets right? If I adjust it in my offsets then It won't pick up the threads and run the possibility of double cutting. Right? Also, where should I get a good starting point for tapping depth. I have the plug gauge and this is my first crack at rigid tapping pipe threads. Is there anything I should keep in mind?

+1 on the thread mill. For the same reasons as above and also you can just use cutter comp to "creep in" on you pitch diameter. Your gonna need a pretty mean spindle to rigid tap 3/4 npt in stainless. Go though just a couple of taps and you have the cost of a nice thread mill right there.

Mike

used a floating holder when we didn't have rigid tap capability. now that we do,tap collets or thread mills, in your case, that's a large tap to push. when we did that size in the past, the machine couldn't do it all the way, had to finish the last by hand.you probably know but the tap also has a tapered reamer that needs run before tapping.

Go with the tapered reamer if you have to tap, I have done this a lot and it works great. A 3/4 pipe tap is nothing to shrug your shoulders at, I have seen these explode.(Collet's are bad for these!) Lock-er in good and tight and use your Z to adjust depth. Start shallow and work your way down.