Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

haas mill chip break cycle

Sbarner

Greetings,

I've done a search on here, but so far hasve not come up with what I want. I seem to remember the Haas' at trade school having a canned chip break cycle. Ya know, rather than the drill retracting all the way, it would back up .05" or whatever. I thought that it was a G82 cycle, but I'm not sure. In any case, the G82 cycle here on our Haas' is not a chip break cycle. I've poured over the Haas manual, and I can't really figure out what the IJK values for drilling mean. I understand what they do, but I can't figure out which value will give me what I want. I'm a fairly decent post editor...I can make this work if I have a starting point. I've searched the X3 post parameter ref, and couldn't find anything. Any guidance would be helpful.

Also, just a general question, do the settings on the Haas that apply to canned cycles (#22 Canned cycle delta Z) apply only to programs made with the conversational software, or do they affect programs written on Mastercam and brought over? If they affect Mastercam programs...I suppose I don't need to adjust anything. Just write a G73 cycle, define a Q value, and let Mastercam take care of the rest?

Thanks for any info.

Running X3 by the way.

There is a parameter that can be altered to change the stroke as well, that is to say altering the distance between the last z depth and the rapid point for the next z within the same hole. It gives more control as to avoid rapid moves into chips and packing them down or breaking the drill.

"the G82 cycle here on our Haas' is not a chip break cycle."

That's the case with most controllers. G82 allows for the use of a dwell.

The IJK in the drill cycles are used for patterns or bolt circles and define the spread between the holes, direction, angles and so on. Fairly common stuff for years and should work fine on the Haas.

http://numeryx.com/cnc/drilling6.htm

http://www.mmsonline.com/articles/a-few-tr...r-canned-cycles

HTH, MCM.

There is a setting that you can change this value.

Setting 22 CAN CYCLE DELTA Z

This is a decimal numeric entry. It must be in the range of 0.0

to 29.9999 inches. This setting specifies the delta Z used in

the G73 canned cycle when the Z-axis is moved up to clear chips.