Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

5 axis port blend

sa

Using an older machine and X2 for cylinder head porting. Wondering how well the "taper" feature works in the 5 axis port tool path where the toolpaths overlap from opposite sides of the port. I realize the length of overlap and angle would vary but am wondering what other people are using and the results they see.

Thanks

Steve

I put SAMPLE_port in FTP MCX2 folder (/Mastercam_forum/MCX2_Files). Sorry about not figuring out the hyperlink.

Anyways, that port surface is typical of what we do. I have been using the Port 5 axis in X2 and it has worked pretty good for me. Didn't have as good of luck with Advanced Multiaxis. I couldn't get the cutter to go down around the sides of the valve guide as well as in the port tool path and using a drive surface.

In the past we have put up with the mismatch but have decided to take a good look and determine exactly why it is occurring. Static measurements taken in the machine seem to be good and the G-code is correct so... it appears as though it is a dynamic machine issue.

If there is an easy way to blend by tapering, then that may be the answer.

The mismatch is .015 to .020. I have verified rotational axis locations and offsets every which way I can figure to ensure proper location and still same result. I am looking into purchasing the rotational comp software for the machine (now standard on new machines) and having the rotational axes calibrated but I am not sure that will help. All of my static measurements I have taken seem good, so I am at a loss as to what the problem is or the fix. That is why I was wondering about the blend feature in Port 5 Axis.

Thanks,

Steve

• 1 month later...

something I have been doing for awhile seems to work pretty good is When I get my finished surface I make a copy of it to another level. Then when I split the surface I try to split it a little higher then I would normally, then go to the copied surface and split it a little lower then the last one. use the two "extended" surfaces to tool path, they essentially create the perfect overlap to smooth out your transition... Best of luck!!! But also if your using a flowline 5 I have also had success with adding an exit blend usually 3 passes is enough...