Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

Need help with machining solid???

Rob B

I am trying to machine a mold. My tool path looks good when I verify the toolpath in MC. But when I run the G code on the machine. It gouges the part. I have uploaded the file on to the ftp page under:MCX2_Files/MS0594 Oper1 Rob.zip

Can someone verify the nc code this program produces to see if produces a gouge. If you need more info. Please let me know.

Also, if there is a better way to do this part let me know. I am open to any ideas. It has cost me one piece of material and several hrs of headache and heartache!!!

confused.gifbanghead.gif

Jay,

I wrote a toolpath using Highspeed Finish toolpath Scallop. I copied an pasted the geo. from the parallel toolpath so it would be the same.

When I done this I get the gouge to appear in the MC verify.

I really need to stay we the parallel type finish on my part.

Thanks

Not sure if this applies to your situation or not but I have been burned by cutting 3D toolpaths directly on a solid in MC. Creating surfaces from the solid and using those for "drive" instead of the solid has always fixed the issue.

I ran into this often enough that I never toolpath directly on a solid anymore except maybe drilling or 2-D contours...

The solid is from Solidworks.

I just created surfaces from the solid and used them to drive the toolpath. I got the same gouge.

I had another local MC guy to check the toolpath to see what he thought. He saved the solid as a .STL file with .ooo2 resolution on the crosshatch of the stl. He got an alarm from mastercam that the stl wasn't watertight. He thinks it is the solid model. I tried to duplicate his process of saveing as a stl file but didn't get the watertight alarm.

This really has me scratching head and tail.

Do you usually analyze-->solid and check the solid for errors? I don't use imported solids because they are only as good as the guy that created them. I spend less time creating a native MC solid than I would use trying to get the bugs worked out of the imported solids.

This is were I put the bag over my head with DumbA$$ written on it. First of all my part wasn't being gouged in the first place. My total depth in the pocket is -.85 deep. I had my depth limits set to -.635 for my roughing tool.

Well when I ran the finish pass I didn't have any depth limits set. The tool follows the surface to the .85 deep. (.215 below the rough surface depth). That's were the gouge(supposed gouge) came from. My part just wasn't roughed to depth. When the finish path went to depth, it just appeared to gouge. I never even thought to measure the depth that the roughing tool had cut to.

Man I feel like an idiot today. Just glad it was my birthday or I would have been made.

Thanks for all of the attention. I kind of feel like a drama queen.

flame.gifrolleyes.gif

Rob,

I do molds all day and I mostly (not always tho)use HST Core roughing, HST finish horizontal, and hst finish waterline. Every now and then I use Scallop and Raster. Scallop leaves a sweet finish with a small stepover, but IMO it takes alot longer, but less polish time so it pretty much evens out.

HTH and Happy B-Day neighbor. I live about 100 yards from TN State line cheers.gif