Welcome to eMastercam

Register now to participate in the forums, access the download area, buy Mastercam training materials, post processors and more. This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Use your display name or email address to sign in:

calculation

latheman

I have a horizontal machine with a Haas rotary table and chuck. I do hundreds of different parts, lengths and diameters. I do face work as well as radial work on all parts. The problem I'm having is that we have about 25 sets of soft jaws we use for these parts and they may be machined to suit a particular part. When i use MC to create a toolpath everything is good until the next person comes in behind me and cuts those jaws up which will change my lengths for my saved program. I need MC to calculate from center of Haas to face of part no matter what jaws I'm using. Can i put a calculation in the post. There is a constant of 9.1558 from center of Haas to face of chuck. Somehow i need to add jaw length and part length without having to manipulate the MCX file everytime??? mpmaster post....Thought i would try here first maybe not get laughed at quite as bad headscratch.gif

The easy fix is keeping the jaws separated with the part number engraved in them so you can snap them back in any time you have to run that job.

But, hey, i have the same problem here, because the managers don't think having soft jaws on stock is a good idea.

It's pretty funny when you can look at a pair of jaws that have been milled for so many different parts that you can't even figure out how they hold parts anymore!

We had the same problem here. What we ended up doing was to creat a custom macro that rotates the table and calculates the position of the part after it is rotated.

It's basically just math calculations using the center coordinates of the rotary table center and the coordinate of your work offset. Just use machine coordinates and all should be good.

HTH